ESXi and sound

rtangwai

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been struggling with my ESXi server - not building it or installing or even updating, that's pretty straightforward (and thankfully I have been lately brushing up on my Linux so the SSH stuff was pretty easy), but with passthrough. In particular I want a sound card active in my Win7 VM because I need it for my voice modem (I use it as my voice-mail/fax server) and I *THINK* I need it for NextPVR to record TV (I have a Hauppauge HD-PVR). I've already given up on ESXi 5.1 because USB passthrough is broken, now I'm trying 5.0.

Has anybody gotten a PCI sound card (not a USB) to work with ESXi 5.0?

The 5.1 you tried, was that with the update applied?

I havn`t messed with any VM's using sound or anything. Maybe this week if I get a chance.
I finally got a job and I have worked OT every week. hehe

I applied the update that came out last Thursday (which was annoying as I had downloaded ESXi 5.1 on *WEDNESDAY* to install). Doesn't see the sound card, but I realized that I'm using a PCI sound card and my motherboard (Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5) might be using a PCI-E to PCI bridge to enable the single PCI port. ESXi doesn't like those for passthrough, and I wonder if the onboard sound is linked the same way which is why it isn't seen either.

Looks like it won't matter anyway - the USB voice modem can be seen in the Win7 VM but it will not pick up the phone. Very odd problem, I'm seriously considering going Hyper-V with Windows Server 2012. I'm just trying to figure out how *THAT* works because technically it's a Type-1 hypervisor yet it sure acts like a Type-2 from the Windows console point of view.

Back