ESXi and multiple NICs

Discussion in 'Virtualized Computing' started by Yakyb, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Yakyb

Yakyb Limp Gawd

how does ESXi handle multiple nics if i had 4 nics in my machine could i assign each one to an individual VM essentially having a NIC each as opposed to sharing one?

sorry if this is a little vague im just trying to get my head round things before buying a new machine

2. vapb400

vapb400 Gawd

Short answer, yes.
    I just started working with ESXi yesterday, but essentially you create vswitches, and treat your Physical NICs as uplinks.

The physical NIC is just a gateway, it is all about how you assign your vswitches

This doesnt illustrate what you are asking but it shows how you apply vswitches to a NIC
    [​IMG]

3. lopoetve

lopoetve Imhotep

Bingo. Each vSwitch can have combinations of Virtual Machines, Service Consoles (esx classic only), and vmkernel ports - just like a real switch.

4. B1zz

B1zz Gawd

also, and correct me if i'm wrong but if there is network traffic between 2(or more) hosts on the same vswitch, that traffic never actually leaves the hardware or touches the actual physical switching fabric....pretty awesome if ya ask me :cool:

5. lopoetve

lopoetve Imhotep

two or more VMs - it has to hit the hardware for hosts, as they're separate boxes, but yep - on the same vswitch, VM traffic is all internal.

6. Yakyb

Yakyb Limp Gawd

interesting thanks

7. SpaceHonkey

SpaceHonkey Gawd

I thought this was dependant on using the VMXNIC type - yes/no?

8. lopoetve

lopoetve Imhotep

Nope - independent of the device type as it's at the ESX layer :)

9. Berg0

Berg0 [H]ard|Gawd

ESXi vswitch is vlan aware, correct? vlan tagged traffic also stays on the logical switch?

10. lopoetve

lopoetve Imhotep

Should be, but that's at the extent of my network knowledge in general. They're definitely vlan aware though. :)

11. B1zz

B1zz Gawd

if youre referring to whether it'll do vlan trunking (eg dot1q) and keeping seperate broadcast domains separate within the vswtich on the ESX "layer" i'm pretty sure that it does, as it would be entirely possible(although me personally i wouldnt do it this way unless required by some sort of business or technical constraint) to have 2 VM servers or test boxes or what have you that need to stay on their seperate vlans but reside on the same physical hardware sitting in the rack.

or is that TMI? :p

12. lopoetve

lopoetve Imhotep

99% sure that it does :)