Esxi 5.1 update.

Just threw this on my lab tonight after updating vCenter to 5.1.0b.

Was looking forward to my VMs at virtual hardware version 9 not needing to reboot after a VMware Tools update, however, I found that some randomly rebooted and some didn't.

Hope it also fixes issues with 0 cache HP RAID controllers...that was an unwelcome surprise

I am curious if anyone has done a ESXI build for media center with the HDHR Prime and WHS 2011. What kind of hardware would you recommend. I was thinking of trying this on say a i3 2100 or i3 530. Would the IGP on these be enough for recording live HDTV as well?

At the risk of sounding stupid, how does one apply this update? Still learning the vSphere/ESXi thing.

I see booting the installer with an updated ISO allows for an update, but not a zip. Tips?

Last edited:
At the risk of sounding stupid, how does one apply this update? Still learning the vSphere/ESXi thing.

I see booting the installer with an updated ISO allows for an update, but not a zip. Tips?

You need to download the iso burn and install it there is an upgrade option.. If you have vcenter and the update pack addon then you can do it from there. I usually do trials and its the way around it.

The latest installer only gave me a slight bump up, however it did fix a passthrough issue I was having. I managed to scp the zip to the esxi host and use esxcli to install the zip, verified that it updated too.

Thanks for the post to the file. Confirmation here that it solved a vt-d passthrough related PSOD.

A lab 5.1 esxi box I was testing was getting a purple screen crash when powering on a vm associated with a passed-thru onboard intel ICH10 6 port ahci controller. Lsi 1068 and 2008 external pcie passthrough cards were no problem with vt-d pre-patch 5.1.

If you don't have Sphere Update Manager (VUM) in your environment read these instructions on how to quickly apply patches:
http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2012/02/quickest-way-to-patch-an-esxesxi-using-the-command-line.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the post to the file. Confirmation here that it solved a vt-d passthrough related PSOD.

A lab 5.1 esxi box I was testing was getting a purple screen crash when powering on a vm associated with a passed-thru onboard intel ICH10 6 port ahci controller. Lsi 1068 and 2008 external pcie passthrough cards were no problem with vt-d pre-patch 5.1.

If you don't have Sphere Update Manager (VUM) in your environment read these instructions on how to quickly apply patches:
http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2012/02/quickest-way-to-patch-an-esxesxi-using-the-command-line.html

Thanks for that link. Once I googled the right thing that was the first article I came across! Now I just gotta figure out why winSCP keeps disconnecting and complaining about corrupt packets when I try to transfer things like isos and what not to a local datastore :S

anyone playing with this update happen to have been also using a VGA passthrough and can report on how that's going? I have one lab box on 5.0 with a couple vgas and was debating whether to tinker with this if the 5.1 issues were resolved.

Thanks for the command-line HowTo link!

With that info I searched/found an even more detailed (or beginner oriented...) set of HowTo steps.

here's the link:
http://communities.vmware.com/peopl.../15/updating-esxi-5--single-use-esxcli-how-to

I also downloaded/installed CLI tools into Win7 Desktop (actual desktop - outside of VMs): "VMware-vSphere-CLI-5.1.0-780721"

The only thing (from above) I did differently was to use the "browse datastore" feature in vSphere Client to upload the patch to "datastore1".

Hope it also fixes issues with 0 cache HP RAID controllers...that was an unwelcome surprise

If you're talking about them working like crap, buy the cache - that's been a known issue for 5 years now?

Back