ESXi 5.1 -> 5.5 upgrade = Guests have no network connection

Gnavox

n00b
After upgrading ESXi 5.1 to 5.5 this evening, my two guests - OmniOS and Ubuntu Server - have no network connectivity.

I am new to virtualization. Is this normal? Do I need to upgrade VMware Tools on both guests? I have tried upgrading VMware Tools on the Ubuntu Server guest using the automatic option, but to no avail.

Suggestions are much appreciated.

I have run across a problem that the network card some how get corrupted. Try and Change the IP of the server I have had server 2012 have this problem.
If that doesn't work remove the network card and re-add it.

Did you upgrade online or did you pop in a CD or USB key?

5.5 no longer has the Marvell and Realtek NIC drivers so if you do the upgrade from the ISO it no longer sees the NICs. If you do it online it continues to use the 5.1 drivers so the NICs still work.

What NIC chipset are you using?

I use a Supermicro X10SL7-F motherboard with Intel I210 NIC's. I created a custom ISO with the appropriate ethernet drivers. Also, the server itself is online and its simple web GUI accessible. Only the guests have no network connection.

OK, this makes absolutely no sense.

I upgraded yesterday with a custom ISO created according to the same procedure, as the one used when installing originally.

Then I booted and rebooted. No network connection in the guests.

I automatically upgraded VMware Tools in the Ubuntu Server guest and reset the guest. Still no network connection. Then, I posted this thread and went to bed.

I have just turned on the server again this morning and now both guests are accessible. It makes no sense.

Back