ESX/ESXI under workstation. Hardware matter?

Shockey

2[H]4U
If i was to run ESX in vmware workstation, Would the hardware have to be compatible for ESX to work in vmware workstation?

Yes and no - You HAVE to have VT if you even want to run something inside ESX in workstation. In addition, ESXi requires 1gb of ram for the initial ramdisk or it will psod.

The xtravirt method works for 302/303/35/40(no booting vms) and 2.5.5/2.5.4 if you need them.

I'm one of the local ESX / vmware guys, so drop me a line if you need something.

Thanks for the replies guys. Basically i plan to build an environment in a box. Like sabregen. Before i read his thread i had no idea it was possible. Started goggling endlessly and the lights started turning on.

I really interested in learning about the ESX features. Even if it for the trial period i'm fine with that. I do have processor picked out that do support virtual technology.

Yes and no - You HAVE to have VT if you even want to run something inside ESX in workstation. In addition, ESXi requires 1gb of ram for the initial ramdisk or it will psod.

The xtravirt method works for 302/303/35/40(no booting vms) and 2.5.5/2.5.4 if you need them.

I'm one of the local ESX / vmware guys, so drop me a line if you need something.

What you mean by xtravirt method works for 302/303/35/40(no booting vms) and 2.5.5/2.5.4 if you need them?

Can i use that guide to setup ESX in workstation or do you recommend a different one? I will most likely be using the most current releases from vmware.com when i do get around to purchasing all the hardware.

You work for VMware? How about getting me into the 4.0 private beta?

You work for VMware? How about getting me into the 4.0 private beta?

Wish I could ;)

Thanks for the replies guys. Basically i plan to build an environment in a box. Like sabregen. Before i read his thread i had no idea it was possible. Started goggling endlessly and the lights started turning on.

I really interested in learning about the ESX features. Even if it for the trial period i'm fine with that. I do have processor picked out that do support virtual technology.

What you mean by xtravirt method works for 302/303/35/40(no booting vms) and 2.5.5/2.5.4 if you need them?

Can i use that guide to setup ESX in workstation or do you recommend a different one? I will most likely be using the most current releases from vmware.com when i do get around to purchasing all the hardware.

Xtravirt's method works for:
ESX 3.0.2/3.0.3/3.5/3i fully. It will also run ESX 2.5.4 and 2.5.5, but those are ancient. 4.0 will not boot a VM if you run it in workstation (it panics the workstation instance). :)

That guide is the best out there, honestly. Have fun! Follow it to the LETTER.

Was worth a shot.

lol. I'm not even in the beta - it's REALLY small window of people. I just get to play with it some because they give us access to all the current builds and have to learn it for when it comes out.

I have vmware esxi 3.5 build 123629 running in vmware workstation 6.5. I cant install any 64 bit operating systems it says "attempting to load a x64 operating system, however this cpu is not compatible with x64 mode."

I have a c2d 6750 with VT enabled, and I am able to install x64 OS's under workstation 6.5 but not in ESXi. I cant seem to figure it out anyone know the answer?

I have vmware esxi 3.5 build 123629 running in vmware workstation 6.5. I cant install any 64 bit operating systems it says "attempting to load a x64 operating system, however this cpu is not compatible with x64 mode."

I have a c2d 6750 with VT enabled, and I am able to install x64 OS's under workstation 6.5 but not in ESXi. I cant seem to figure it out anyone know the answer?

Recreate the VM after you enabled VT.

did you recreate the Workstation ESX vm?

Yes I did

I did the following:
enabled vt, reboot
install new vm red hat linux 4 x64
scsi logic: 250gb
bridged networking

processor: 1
chose the VT option
ram: 4gb
removed: usb
removed: sound
removed: floppy
network: bridged, replication host connection

closed vmware
edited vm config
added monitor config line.
restarted vm, installed esxi

Im pretty sure I followed all the steps properly, can other people install x64 on a virtualized esxi?

Still nothing =(

looks like not - I'd never tried it till now, as anything 64bit is gonna be slow as crap anyway. I just run freenas as a test vm.

What's your host OS?

dunno, was curious if that mattered at all since we had 4 layers of virtualization. I'm on XP32bit, so I guess not.

This is honestly too slow to be usable - just run something small in it for proof of concept or learning.

dunno, was curious if that mattered at all since we had 4 layers of virtualization. I'm on XP32bit, so I guess not.

This is honestly too slow to be usable - just run something small in it for proof of concept or learning.

Im assuming this would work if it was on a dedicated box, no? I think the problem is that its virtualized.

I can install x86 operating systems, its slow but bearable.

Im assuming this would work if it was on a dedicated box, no? I think the problem is that its virtualized.

I can install x86 operating systems, its slow but bearable.

Oh definitely - running it nested like this is nuts though, and not something it was ever really designed for.

but it sure is fun to run double nested VMs! It is a PITA to set up though, and does run slowly. I don't know why the OP can't get a 64bit gues os to install though. I had no issues doing it on mine.

Ninja edit: Have you also exposed the EMT64/VT or AMD-V extensions to the guest (double nested) VM OS (vista x64, or whatever it is that you're trying to install)? You will have to expose the VT or V flags to the ESX(i) VM, and the VM it is running in order for this to work.

Even funnier than your implementation was mine (it made my head hurt), running two ESX hosts as VMs, being managed by the VC VM (also single nested), and having the two ESX VMs connected to an iSCSI VM that was being used as shared VMFS storage across both virtualized ESX hosts. After I built a few double nested vms, I remoted from the double nested VM to itself...lol...brough my 8core box to it's knees. Like pointing a mirror at a mirror...you should have seen how fast my 8 cores pegged out, and the RAM was GONE.

OOH. He has a point there, it may take those. I've never tried - 2 ESX boxes, OpenFiler, and Win2k3 all in workstation on my laptop is bad enough :)

Sabregen, you should try multipathing to that iSCSI vm. Tis fun, and nice seeing the load balance for it :D

Back