Especially random question

CRXican

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a hard drive that I think is defective. First one of the partitions "disappeared" then it got a lovely CRC error. The drive has windows on it but it will no longer boot thanks to a System32 error of some sort. To make matters even more fun, the PC the drive was in has a dead mobo, useless

I have an external enclosue. Is there any way to check out this driveby putting it in that enclosure as a slave drive on another PC or am I out of luck?

Bullitt

2[H]4U
CRXican said:
I have a hard drive that I think is defective. First one of the partitions "disappeared" then it got a lovely CRC error. The drive has windows on it but it will no longer boot thanks to a System32 error of some sort. To make matters even more fun, the PC the drive was in has a dead mobo, useless

I have an external enclosue. Is there any way to check out this driveby putting it in that enclosure as a slave drive on another PC or am I out of luck?

More than likely, I'd say, 85-99% chance, you can open that external enclosure, whip out the drive, install it as a traditional internal drive, and run manufacturer's diagnostics on it. When you take it out, make note of the manufacturer and model number, visit the appropriate manufacturer's website and get their diagnostic utility made for that drive.