ESET trying to fool us?

TheNuker

Limp Gawd
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=216325

Since yesterday we (NOD32 2.7 users) have been unable to update our program and there's still no information on what the hell if going on. All they are saying is that there's a new update 11mb in size and this is taking long for users to update, which makes no sense at all. When we hit the update button it says our version is already up to date which it isn't. In my case it's even worse, since yesterday I reformatted my computer and when I installed NOD32 it simply told me I was already up to date, with virus definitions from last year! Apparently this problem is not occurring with version 3.0 of their software.

Now what drove me mad was this sentence from one of the ESET's moderators, Marcus:

I'd strongly recommend that you upgrade to version 3. Version 2 will always have such large updates about 2-3 time per year, however, with increasing number of users upgrading to v3 and adding new update servers it should not be that bad. However, in case of such a large update v2 users will get it with a slight delay whereas v3 users will update immediately thanks to the small update size.

So, he's simply saying that to fix this problem we should dump version 2.7 and "upgrade" to their newer version. What a load of bullshit :mad:

ok so version 2.7 is good and version 3.0 is bad.. because why? Is there any reason why you won't grab 3.0?

I don't like their implementation of a proxy that filters all internet traffic and CANNOT be disabled as confirmed by ESET themselves.

not trying to thread crap but, if youre interested, avast is a great free antivirus. i like it better than nod32, personally.

I might end up installing this one if I'm still unable to update today since it's better than nothing. AVG 7.5 was a good alternative but their 8.0 version is too bloated, I tried it on other computers and hated it.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I still run 2.7 in a corporate environment. Looks like ours is stalled at version 3311 dated 7/30 which is 2 versions behind as I write this.
I think the explanantion is fair. I don't think Marcos was trying to sell v3 to anyone, but commenting on differences in the download sizes. There's an 11 MB download which is causing servers to bog down. I'm not too concerned about it yet cause NOD32 has one of the best wild detection rates.
I wouldn't say v3.0 is bad, it's supposed to have better malware detection, but I still prefer 2.7 for now.

UPDATE: Some of our clients which are in standalone mode have acquired the update, but my central distribution point computer is still not up to date. Marcos says it can take 1-2 days for the update to occur so I guess I'll give it another day and see what happens.

I got my distribution point computer to update by changing the update setting from "choose automatically" and started manually picking servers from the list and running a manual update again. After picking the second or third server on the list it successfully updated. Now that it is up to date I changed the update setting back to "choose automatically".

One thing to note is ESET claims that the update that is causing the problem is supposed to be 11MB in size. When I successfully updated to 3315 it only took a few seconds. So I am wondering if ESET has modified the database for now so that the "large update" will now occur later.
On my mirror the large master NUP file is showing a date of 7/28, but there is a new NUP file with todays date which indicates that they may not be releasing the 11MB update now.
Perhaps the file dated 7/28 is the new file in question. I don't know because I don't know what the date should be for that master file.

All this is speculation so I may be spouting nonsense.

Looks like it is affecting some v3 users also. A long thread on it over at Wilders. Could it be that a DNS server along the line has been poisoned?

I asked my rep about this... When trying to update 2.7 on a test machine (that I ended up not doing).

Basically every quarter ESET wraps things up in a very large update (sounded to me like a SP, but being I'm not on 2.7 I didn't care that much). Their servers were down to do this, it sounded like (3.0 worked). At first I thought my user/password had gone bad or something.

I'm running Smart Security 3.0 at this point, it did kinda hang for a day or so with no apparent updates, but earlier today it picked up 3 and now sits at 3316 so I guess maybe they're getting the kinks worked out with their servers at Eset. Keep your fingers crossed...

I'm running Smart Security 3.0 at this point, it did kinda hang for a day or so with no apparent updates, but earlier today it picked up 3 and now sits at 3316 so I guess maybe they're getting the kinks worked out with their servers at Eset. Keep your fingers crossed...
Here's a question... Is there a single definition update for both 3.0 and 2.7? Do they work off the same definitions (It's just 2.7 are rolled up each quarter)?

That time I talked to my rep, my inital question was why my UN/PW did not work with 2.7... He said if it works on 3.0 it will work on 2.7. So I know it's most likely validating to the same servers.

Get Avira for Paid or Avast for Free.

ESET has lost its touch IMO...

I might have to double-check... Must've missed the part where this was an AV-discussion thread??????????

I might have to double-check... Must've missed the part where this was an AV-discussion thread??????????

ESET is not updating right now as has happened in the past AND is not giving a straight answer of why, thats pretty poor IMO and might be course of reason to look at an alternative. Not to mention they have been slipping in recent years.

I was giving my opinion which comes to light in a time of yet another issue.

;)

I have no idea but I'm guessing as the 3.0 scanning/detection engine is different, it's not a possibility to have the same exact definition files for 3.0 and the older 2.7 setup. As for quarterly updates, that wouldn't make much sense for an AV app that updates hourly, would it? :)

I have noted that NOD32 v3 seems to have a "worse" record as far as AV Comparitives' testing procedures goes. The older 2.7 had the highest marks for a very very long time, but it seems that yes, perhaps Eset is slipping a bit because their v3 engine just isn't showing the same kinds of numbers anymore. I'll stick with their products because they haven't failed me in the past, ever, but if they do, that'll be the point when I look into alternatives and not before.

ESET is not updating right now as has happened in the past AND is not giving a straight answer of why
No?
http://eset.com/support/news.php
Some users have experienced delays or were unable to download recent virus signature updates. Normally, ESET produces incremental updates to the virus signature database which are very compact in size, averaging about 10KB per day.

However, over time, these incremental updates become very large in size. ESET regularly releases a larger base signature update that aggregates these into one large update.

Unfortunately, a capacity issue on our server caused a delay in pushing out the latest large update package. ESET NOD32 Antivirus 3.0's updating mechanism is architected in such a way that users were able to download a much smaller update file; users of version 2.x were mostly impacted. Users with a valid NOD32 2.x license have always been able to upgrade to 3.x at no cost.

We anticipate that all users will have downloaded the update by now and ESET has made infrastructure changes to ensure that such capacity issues do not occur in the future.

That line about 2.x users being allowed to upgrade to v3.x for free is new to me. I used 2.7 for the longest time and when v3 was released, they never offered me any free upgrade nor did I ever see anything posted about that at their website, that's why I purchased Smart Security itself. How very interesting...

That line about 2.x users being allowed to upgrade to v3.x for free is new to me. I used 2.7 for the longest time and when v3 was released, they never offered me any free upgrade nor did I ever see anything posted about that at their website, that's why I purchased Smart Security itself. How very interesting...

Found this in their KB (couldn't find a direct link- URL didn't change...)

If you wish to upgrade from version 2.7 to ESET NOD32 Antivirus 3.0, navigate to http://www.eset.com/download/index.php and click the Home or Business User link, depending on your need. Download and run the appropriate installer file on your computer. The username and password which were sent to you upon purchase of version 2.7 will be required in order to download the new version. Please click here if you do not have your username or password.

Well ain't that something... oh well, that license finally ran out anyway and now I'm using Smart Security without issues, so...

For the record it turns out it was affecting all versions, 2.7, 3.0 and ESS. Looks like sometime last night they started getting it working properly. All of my machines are now updating properly again.

It was clearly stated when 3.0 came out that any licensed user of 2.7 could download and install 3.0. The confusion is probably with the smart security package. You had to pay for ESS but for the standalone AV program there was no charge to upgrade.

Glad to hear it. I did a fresh install on one of my machines yesterday afternoon and v.3 said it was up to date from the get go. Hopefully I'll get some updates today.

If you are using Windows home server or some other server flavor, stick with 2.7 as 3.0 will not install. I think they are trying to push their new "Business Edition". Though for all my other comps I use Smart Security.

Yah, here's a funny thing I noted earlier:

I use Smart Security Business Edition, actually, 64 bit version. Currently it's "stuck" at 3317 which was from early on Friday from what I can tell. My Wife installed her copy on her machine earlier tonight after a clean install and it took 3 attempts to update but it finally went through.

Funny thing is hers is at 3318 and no matter how many attempts I make to update, it just won't get the same one she's got. :)

Never seen Eset have so many problems... I sure hope this doesn't continue as they've been absolutely phenomenal over the years. I'd hate to think their success has gone to someone's head but, dammit... get on the ball, dudes... ;)

Mine finally updated last night. I sure hope this doesn't turn into a regular problem.

What's the difference between NOD32 and Smart Security?

BTW, still at 3303. :eek:

NOD32 is the antivirus product all by itself; Smart Security is NOD32 v3, malware protection, a firewall, and some other goodies thrown in for good measure. Basically it's Eset's first "suite" of software in a single product.

Well, so here is the conclusion:

Just tried updating again today on my laptop (I already uninstalled it on my desktop) without success, and so are many people still complaining at eset forums. Their solution? Keep pressing the update button (manually) endlessly and it might update, or not. Great advice of network administrators with over 30 computers scattered in a workplace.

I tried Avira free and liked it very much, so much that yesterday I bought the full version. Not only it updates, but all my audio issues with source based games are gone (stutter and delayed audio playback). The little thing is fast as well and hasn't conflicted with anything else I use.

ESET loses another consumer (and if you check their boards, these days they lost quite a lot), Avira gains another. Happy ending.

Just tried updating again today on my laptop (I already uninstalled it on my desktop) without success, and so are many people still complaining at eset forums. Their solution? Keep pressing the update button (manually) endlessly and it might update, or not. Great advice of network administrators with over 30 computers scattered in a workplace.

To be fair, if you've got your network of 30 computers, you should be using the mirroring or something.

Therefore, you've only got to get your server updated. At that point- all your clients have no issues updating from YOUR server.

You could've gotten ahold of your rep to copy you all the update files as well... But I never had problems outside of the couple hours they were really down...

i finally got mine to work

my advice: keep pressing update over and over again. =]

Every company has growing pains at some point. This is the first time in my experience of using Eset products that they've ever had such issues, so... considering how their products have protected not only my own hardware and software over the years, but also that of friends and thousands of clients that I recommended Eset as the product to get, I can forgive them for a few growing pains and speedbumps.

Time will tell...

I saw info about the upgrade to 3.- when 3.0 first came out. I don't remember but it might have checked their website and saw it or saw it when it was time to renew my liscence. Regardless, I upgraded to 3.0, renewed liscence, and have never looked back. Never have to do anything. It updates daily without fail. Thinking of adding it to a couple more computers when it's time to renew again.

Try turning off your Firewall.....then Update NOD32......then turn your firewall back on after the updates....I was stuck at 7-23-08....and I did this and it worked...I have been updated to 8-5-08

Hope this helps

Just a week ago I used ESET free online scan to clean a friends computer that was running fully updated Avast. 6 different malwares was found.

I wouldn't recommend avast to anyone free or not.

There's a lot more to making a good AV product than just what the AV Comparitives testing shows.

Back