ESET Reliability - Caught/Quarantined Viruses? Need Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

ObscureTerror

Limp Gawd
When ESET Security Suite detects a virus and states the following: "Connection Terminated - Quarantined", does that mean, essentially, that I'm safe and it did not hit my system?

I've been "exposed" to three different viruses this past week (which is more than I have in the past year), one was "probably a variant of Win32/Statik application", another "a variant of Win32/Exploit.WMF trojan" and the third "JS/TrojanDownloader.Psyme.NBZ trjoan".

What's with the "probably"?

Anyway, all three happened the same way with the message given above about terminated connection and quarantined. Can I trust these viruses are not on my system? Or do I need to take the extra step and just reformat this drive?

Any info/suggestions appreciated, thanks.

P.S.
Rescanned my system and found nothing.

That message pops up when you are attempting to download a file containing a virus/trogan. Nod32 intercepts and quarantines the file. Its just doing its job. I suggest that you stop visiting questionable sites if you are so concerned.

First off, I'm visiting "questionable sites". These things occurred while hitting several underground music webzines. Twice when attempting to play different MP3 files, and once just actually hitting the MP3 section of a site.

Secondly, taking that kind of attitude is completely unnecessary. It's rude, immature and less than helpful. Not to mention the cliche of, "Any time someone gets hit with a virus, it's because they visited a questionable site." and the responses that usually follow, are antiquated and (pardon my French), just really fucking irritating.

Yes, I know ESET it's doing it's job. Is that what I asked? No, it's not. I was asking for the details as to whether or not my system was safe, ESET having quarantined the file and actually prevented it totally from infecting my system.

Jesus...

If there are any other *adults* who'd care to actually be helpful here, and answer my questions, I would appreciate such responses.

Thanks.

Quarantine means that the "bug" is basically put in a padded room..can't do further damage from there.

When you see a warning saying that it's "probably some variant"...that means it was detected by heuristics...which NOD32 is one of the strongest in. (you don't have to wait for definition updates to find the latest threats)

P2P channels are fast becoming one of the fastest growing channels to infect people with malware....P2P downloads are intentionally infected and passed around, websites, etc. Infected music/movie/program files are "poisoned".

No product can give you 100% protection. Even a layered approach can't give you 100% protection. If those P2P file trading sites are daily practice for you...I'd get used to formatting.

lol one rude answer followed by another.

To answer your question simply, ESET detected the malware and quarantined. It did not infect your system and you are safe.

I would suggest using one of the many scanners though just to double check if you know you're going to these sites often, because as NOD32 is amazing, it can have faults.

Another suggestion would be to run your browser in some sort of sandbox (vm)when visiting these sites, although things can jump a VM its rare

First off, I'm visiting "questionable sites". These things occurred while hitting several underground music webzines. Twice when attempting to play different MP3 files, and once just actually hitting the MP3 section of a site.

Secondly, taking that kind of attitude is completely unnecessary. It's rude, immature and less than helpful. Not to mention the cliche of, "Any time someone gets hit with a virus, it's because they visited a questionable site." and the responses that usually follow, are antiquated and (pardon my French), just really fucking irritating.

Yes, I know ESET it's doing it's job. Is that what I asked? No, it's not. I was asking for the details as to whether or not my system was safe, ESET having quarantined the file and actually prevented it totally from infecting my system.

Jesus...

If there are any other *adults* who'd care to actually be helpful here, and answer my questions, I would appreciate such responses.

Thanks.

Be a whiny little bitch else where. I'm terribly sorry that I hurt your feelings but, if these underground music webzines which you frequent host files containing trogans I'd say they are just slightly questionable.

Be a whiny little bitch else where. I'm terribly sorry that I hurt your feelings but, if these underground music webzines which you frequent host files containing trogans I'd say they are just slightly questionable.

You can always go be an asshole somewhere else as well. He asked for an answer to his question. Not a thrashing about the sites he visits.

P2P FTW.

You can always go be an asshole somewhere else as well. He asked for an answer to his question. Not a thrashing about the sites he visits.

P2P FTW.
He never mentioned p2p at all? Next time try reading the thread before you jump in to white knight.

My point is that no decent site allows viruses to be hosted on their servers. This has nothing to do with copyright infringement. "underground" music typically isn't in bed with the RIAA and the artists generally are more concerned with getting heard than the evils of piracy. If you are concerned with getting infected from the sites you currently frequent, you might want to try a different, better admined site. Theres nothing unreasonable about that and theres no need for either of you to be pretentious assholes about it. I told you what the message meant and thought I explained clearly that there was no threat. Although the clean virus scan that you ran should have been a strong indicator as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back