• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ESD?

Joined
Nov 7, 2003
Messages
928
Hey I was about to build a gaming pc with some old parts from previous computer. My old computer no longer works because it seems to have been fried by my old apartment's lack of grounded outlets. I have 3 computers that no longer work and were fried one after the other at that apartment. I was curious if anyone knew if there is any risk of using any old parts in one of these broken systems on a new build since they have been through those electrical fluctuations....

For example, I wanted to use the old 610w power supply in signature and video card in sig and sound card and wireless network card and raptor hard drive. Then I would just replace the mobo, ram, and cpu..

Does anyone recommend not using these old parts due to the risk of them screwing up new stuff I buy when I go to put it all together?

Thanks.
 
This is not an issue of ESD if the electrical outlet is at fault.

I'm not sure I'd reuse a power supply if you think the wall outlet is the cause of the problem.

Do you have a UPS/battery backup of some sort?
 
I don't have a battery backup, I had it on a good surge protector for just half the time that it was not grounded which probably didn't help either way. Now I have good electrical wiring, I'm just wondering about the different parts I wanted to re-use. Sounds like I'll ditch the PSU for a new one but I still will probably use my old pci-express video that was in there as well as Sound card and network card and hard drive.
 
Back
Top