ESD damage during normal usage

the_servicer

2[H]4U
Is it possible that a notebook computer can receive ESD damage from normal usage? For example, maybe both the computer and the bag or sleeve into which it slides in and out are electrically charged. Imagine that the case is never opened for upgrades or maintenance.

Some notebooks have vents on the bottom that at least partially expose the ram chips.

its possible but unlikely. iv seen a good static shock kill a keyboard once that's aboot it in over 20 yrs...

Thanks for the replies. For an expensive computer, assuming this is even a problem, what are some possible ways to avoid damage? I assume not setting it directly on carpeting or bedding or similar material is a place to start. I know we haven't even established that this is a real problem. I just want to be safe not sorry.

They are surrounded by plate metal that helps suppress EM radiation getting in or out.
This will also serve as the target for static.

Thanks for the replies. For an expensive computer, assuming this is even a problem, what are some possible ways to avoid damage? I assume not setting it directly on carpeting or bedding or similar material is a place to start. I know we haven't even established that this is a real problem. I just want to be safe not sorry.

#1. Absolutely NO SMOKING cigarettes, cigars, joints, etc. around it or any computer, especially when they are turned on.
#2. Spritzer air freshers can also gunk up stuff given enough time.
#3. No eating or drinking near it. Spills will happen no matter how careful you are.
#4. Don't leave it in the sun, especially uncovered in a vehicle.
#5. Clean the dust out of the fans and heatsink fins every once in a while. If you are using it in an environment with pets and or other sources of lots of dirt, 3-4 months is probably the absolute max you want to go before cleaning it.
#6. After 2-3 years it is a VERY GOOD idea to change the stock grey crap that they call heatsink compound. The OEMs have been using the same exact crap for the past 10+ years. It will dry out and/or separate causing the components (CPU, GPU, and possibly chipset) to overheat.

Is it possible that a notebook computer can receive ESD damage from normal usage? For example, maybe both the computer and the bag or sleeve into which it slides in and out are electrically charged. Imagine that the case is never opened for upgrades or maintenance.

The only weird electrical things I've seen happen with laptops is when there's a peripheral like a printer or monitor or something else with its own power supply connected to the laptop.
Connecting devices with severly damaged wires is another danger.
Wiring your laptop's audio output to a powerful audio amplifier that 'thumps' on start/shutdown.
You'd be better off blowing compressed air into the bottom air intake and aiming for the outlet (while holding the fan in place with a stick or something), and not the other way around.
Some of the above is overkill, but hey, you asked :)

Back