esata storage array

EvilAlchemist

2[H]4U
My current storage server is completely full.

Current Specs: (Rack Mounted)
  • Processor : 2 x Intel Xeon 5504 (2.0Ghz x 8 Cores)
  • Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X8DAL-i-O
  • Power Supply: Corsair 520w PSU
  • Raid Card: Dell Perc 5/i (HeatSink Mod + Ram @ 512MB)
  • Hard Drives: Raid 5 running 6 x Western Digital 640GB AAKS (TLER Enabled)
  • Hard Drives: 2 x 640Gb AAKS for OS + Temp files not on raid card

I was looking at buying this product and adding another array to the system.

Habey DS-1220N 12-bay 3U Rackmount Storage Enclosure
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816321005

After looking at the product some, i realized I already have extra rackmount cases and psu. Is there any way to built a DIY version of this product?

I know they use some sort of port multiplier but kinda sketchy on the parts I will need.
Also curious if adding another drive controler will conflict with the perc 5/i

After looking at the product some, i realized I already have extra rackmount cases and psu. Is there any way to built a DIY version of this product?

I know they use some sort of port multiplier but kinda sketchy on the parts I will need.
Yea, you can. The extra chassis, do they have backplanes? You'll need eSATA port multipliers, and then you can connect your drives in those extra cases to the port multiplier. Something like this should work. Then connect the port multiplier(s) to your original machine with eSATA cable(s). Keep in mind you'll have to rig the power supplies to power on the drives .

Also curious if adding another drive controler will conflict with the perc 5/i

You can have multiple HBA's in the same system. Are you going to go with softraid or JBOD to access the additional storage through eSATA?

Depending on how many additional disks you're looking to add in the future and the capacity of your current chassis, it may be easier/cheaper to buy something like a Norco 4220/4224/4020 and transplant your current system into that. You'll have to purchase eSATA controller(s) for your server, and x amount of port multipliers for the chassis you're looking to connect, so you'd reach a break-even point fairly quickly. The 4220 is $280 from Newegg currently.

Back