Esata speeds for data managment

gaer42

Limp Gawd
I am a DIT and have recently put together a rig that consists of the Sonnet Echo Pro, their pcie eSata 6g card with 4 eSata ports and a red rocket.

I know that speeds slow down when you are reading and writing to the same drive ( almost to 3g speeds by my experience) and it looks like the sped slows down whenreading or writing to more than one drive in the card. I was wondering if there is something I can do to.speed it up? Or would I have to get a second enclosure with another pcie card in order to maintain the 6 g speed, and will that even help as I would have to daisy chain a second enclosure through thunderbolt ports.

Any help would be appreciated.

What drives do you think achieve give 6g speed?

I think your card should keep up with at least 2 hard drives. It may be the hard drives or the operating system is what is slowing down your system.

When you are reading from and writing to the same spinning disk, your speeds will be hobbled by the physics of waiting for available sectors to rotate around and the head to move. You also have issues of fragmentation to deal with which make these speed bumps even worse. Your transfer rates will most likely not surpass SATA150 speeds, let alone SATA600.

Back