• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

eSATA problem(s) on P5B-E

Magnolia

n00b
Joined
Nov 19, 2006
Messages
13
I'm trying to get my (formatted, partitioned) WD1600JD SATA drive installed on my eSATA port as a backup (non-RAID) data disk using a Kingwin eSATA enclosure, but the system keeps rebooting. My primary boot drive is a Maxtor 7H500FO SATA connected to internal (Intel) SATA-1. The JMicron controller detects the WD and both IDE DVD drives, but the system either hangs during boot or reboots after WinXP loads. Do I need to reconnect my internal SATA drive to the internal JMicron connector?
 
Does the enclosure have its own power source? Is it grounded?

Can you hotplug the external drive while the machine is on? It should be safe to do so.
 
Yes, the case has a separate DC power supply with ON/OFF switch and is grounded. When I hotplug, the computer either (1)reboots or (2) remains OS stable with the drive sounding like it is trying to communicate. In the latter case, the drive activity light on the external drive case is continuous as is the activity light on the computer case. One time I appeared to have a "good" connect from bootup, and even got the"New Hardware found" message, along with the "safely remove hardware" icon in the tray after WinXP loaded; however, I also got the message to reboot to complete installation, which I did, but the system hung again during reboot. Frustrating...
 
Of course, the enclosure could be the problem, but I'm not sure how to go about trouble-shooting it. Perhaps the eSata data cable is bad... that I can check. BTW my WD drive (the one in the enclosure) does contain a WinXP boot partition from when I used it as the primary drive in my previous computer setup. Could that cause a conflict?
 
Magnolia said:
Of course, the enclosure could be the problem, but I'm not sure how to go about trouble-shooting it. Perhaps the eSata data cable is bad... that I can check. BTW my WD drive (the one in the enclosure) does contain a WinXP boot partition from when I used it as the primary drive in my previous computer setup. Could that cause a conflict?
I have placed a drive in an external ide case and do not have a problem with winxp boot partition.....

I am not sure if this will cause the issue..do you have a second sata drive you could drive with not boot partition
 
I took care of the boot partition problem by temporarily disconnecting my pri (internal)SATA drive's data connector, plugging in my WD drive internally, booting up with the WinXP install CD, and using its partitioning/formatting program to delete the WD O/S (boot) partition and formatting the drive's (now) one large partition (NTFS of course). I reconnected my primary drive and and rebooted, put the WD drive back in the eSATA enclosure, powered it up, plugged into the eSATA port and finally had WinXP identify the drive. After a benchmark run demonstrated that the drive was almost as "fast" as my internal SATA drive, it spontaneously disconnected from the OS. Thereafter, I was able to get it to reconnect intermittently, but only for short intervals before it would disconnect.
Now I'm beginning to suspect a bad eSATA data cable, either the one that connects the enclosure to the eSATA port on the computer, or perhaps the "pass through" connector from the enclosure to the drive.
 
:D Problem solved!!! The KingWin enclosure (either the enclosure's pass-through cable or the eSATA cable) was bad. RMA'd the KingWIn enclosure and purchased the Icy Dock MB559US1S and I'm blazing with hotplugged eSATA!!!!!!!!!!!!. :D
 
Back
Top