eSATA: How to safety remove?

Potatocodone

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jun 30, 2008
Messages
4,859
I been wondering guys. I always been removing my eSATA drives by removing them from the device manager.

Is there some other way I am suppose to do it? Some of my friends just power down the eSATA dock and eventually the computer will refresh and remove the hard-drive from "My Computer". I'm not too thrill on this idea.

Others take the time to power down their whole system before powering off their eSATA drive. But I find this so annoying to do.

I try googling but ended up with a few threads with no real solution besides the ones listed above.

How do you guys safety remove your eSATA drives? I am using those Thermaltake BlacX eSATA docking stations.
 
How do you guys safety remove your eSATA drives? I am using those Thermaltake BlacX eSATA docking stations.

Seems like this would be covered in the manual. If you don't have yours I'll check mine when I get home.
 
I usually turn off the BlacX first, then pull it out - haven't had any problems yet, but as mentioned, make sure AHCI is enabled first.
 
stupid question im sure, but you cant run ACHI if your running raid right? Then what?
 
so when i run on ICH10r in raid, it is automatically ACHI and i dont need to enable it?
 
First off, like others have said, you should be running AHCI Mode not IDE mode.

Second, go to taskbar and select "Safely Remove Hardware."

Third, cut power to esata dock then pull drive.

That's the absolute safest way to do it. However AHCI means plug and play like USB...when's the last time anyone used that method on a USB thumb drive?:rolleyes: My conclusion is that with AHCI enabled you should be able to pull that drive at anytime with zero damage...provided you aren't in the middle of copying something to it.
 
just pull it out :p

That's what I do. If you aren't writing to the disk and AHCI is enabled, you are good to go.

yeah thats... intels "hot-swap". remember Esata is just an external connector to the same Sata bus that all the other drives are on. Technoically you can yank a non-OS drive and it should be fine too...

but, the first time i had to yank an e-sata drive... man oh man was it a leap of faith.
 
When hot-swapping internal drives, is it best to connect the SATA cable and then the power cable or does it matter?
 
First off, like others have said, you should be running AHCI Mode not IDE mode.

Second, go to taskbar and select "Safely Remove Hardware."

Third, cut power to esata dock then pull drive.

That's the absolute safest way to do it. However AHCI means plug and play like USB...when's the last time anyone used that method on a USB thumb drive?:rolleyes: My conclusion is that with AHCI enabled you should be able to pull that drive at anytime with zero damage...provided you aren't in the middle of copying something to it.

My friend reformated with ACHI enable this time. But eSATA hdds won't show up in the "safety remove hardware". Any idea why?
 
When hot-swapping internal drives, is it best to connect the SATA cable and then the power cable or does it matter?

i would say plug into sata then power but let me know how that turns out :D i've never done it before but it should be the same as esata anyway but is your case open 24/7 then?
 
i would say plug into sata then power but let me know how that turns out :D i've never done it before but it should be the same as esata anyway but is your case open 24/7 then?

That's what I would think...makes more sense to me to have the data cable connected first since when you connect the power, the data cable is already connected. In a way it's similar to powering on your PC; the SATA cable is already connected, you're just providing power by turning the system on which should be no different than providing power by connecting the power cable). I'd be a bit leery of connecting the data cable while the drive was already spinning, but for all I know it would work just fine as part of the AHCI/hot-swap spec.

Yep, case is always open.
 
It just amazes me that they dont have electrical power over esata connection yet, it would be so much more convenient!
 
Back
Top