• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

eSATA external enclosure

foxnews

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 9, 2006
Messages
378
I bought a WD external My Book 400GB but was disappointed with the performance due to the limitation of USB 2.0 speed.

I am thinking of the eSATA/USB2 combo solution for performance and compatibility.

I am between these enclosures due to their high review from newegg:

1. Antec: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145167

or

2. Azio: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817106097

which one do you think should be a better choice? or can you recommend me a better one?

thanks,
 
i have the black verison of the Azio and i love mine. i purchased 2, one for me and the other for my sister. both worked with no issues. the only thing that i would've liked for it to have is some type of sound damping system, but it wasn't a issue for me, i just used some thin foam and padded the areas that i thought would cause nosie. after that its near silent.

i don't like the look for the Vantec due to that silver/chrome ring in the front but thats just me. if looks don't matter to you, just get whatever is cheapest.
 
is the metal too thin and make noice? can you hot-swap a SATA drive?
did you benchmark the eSATA performance?

thanks
 
I would go with the Vantec (seperate comp from Antec). It gets good reviews and is slick looking. Google reviews for them and see what the reviewers have to say. On looks I like the Vantec. Very nice high gloss finish when you actually see it.
 
the metal isn't that thick but thick enough and durable, if you have a quieter drive you'll won't really hear it. i can hot swap but i didn't run and tests/benches. the HDD i'm using is a Hitachi 7K80 SATAII w/ 8MB cache. i did transfer 4GB worth of data to it and it only took about 3-5mins, if that helps.
 
I have that Vantec in blue and I like it, I will purchase another for my next external.
 
aiya said:
the metal isn't that thick but thick enough and durable, if you have a quieter drive you'll won't really hear it. i can hot swap but i didn't run and tests/benches. the HDD i'm using is a Hitachi 7K80 SATAII w/ 8MB cache. i did transfer 4GB worth of data to it and it only took about 3-5mins, if that helps.

that is not that fast. I got a WD USB my book and I tried to transfer 3.5GB of data and it took about 5 to 6 min. I was hoping eSATA would be alot faster.
 
Back
Top