ES or Regular

mashtub651

Limp Gawd
recently bought a X5650 off the forums and have been searching for another whilst looking through ebay came across xeon x5650 ES now for a little bit more that the first xeon is it worth sending back the first and just getting two ES chips (the seller has 4 ES)

would be in an SR-2 and mainly for folding

ES chips should be less. You do not gain anything with ES's in the Intel socket 1366 realm. I have all ES chips on my farm, but only because they were significantly cheaper than the retail/OEM versions.

I have my eye on those X5650s as well, but $700 is too much IMO. I do think he will sell them at that price, which is sad really...

i thought the ES chips were unlocked and are capable of higher multipliers sorry still kinda newb-ish about the whole hardware thing but have been learning a lot in the past couple months on here

ES Xeons tend to have a lower turbo multiplier (extra 1x instead of 2x) as the only difference from retail procs. I haven't heard of any that are unlocked.

nope, i have some ES 5645, and they only have 1x turbo and are not unlocked.

ES models being unlocked is a thing of the past....I think that went out with Pentium III or IV IIRC.
I have 3 ES cpus, 2 Xeons and a C2Q; none of them are unlocked.

i thought the ES chips were unlocked and are capable of higher multipliers sorry still kinda newb-ish about the whole hardware thing but have been learning a lot in the past couple months on here

only AMD opteron magny cour ES chips are unlocked multipliers(could be the same with the istanbul's and older opteron's but i dont pay much attention to those so i dont know), Intel Xeon's ES chips have weird default and weird turbo multipliers. though typically they are about the same as the non ES chips. i think the x5650 ES has +1 multiplier over the regular one and x1 turbo vs the normal that has x2 turbo which means they end up being about the same.

ES CPUs are always inferior to retail models. If you can obtain a retail CPU for the same price or cheaper than an ES, get it. Keep in mind that it is also technically illegal for the original holder of an ES CPU to sell or transfer it to anyone else.

ES chips can be good and bad, depending on your situation.

They are harder to sell, but are cheaper (then retail chips) in the beginning.

Also, depending on the revision of the chip, some features many or many not work.

An example of this would be the X5550's I have.
The B0 version does not have TurboMode, but the C0 version does and the Retail D0 does.
It can mess some programs up if you run in a dual more having one running 1x/2x speed bins higher then the other. Since you are going to overclock, that may not be an issue if u disable that feature.

I would try and find out the revision and then do a search of any know problems known.

Also, some motherboards don't have the micro code for ES cpus so that is another issue to lookup.
Supermicro is the worst about that topic, but there are threads out there to work on that as well.

Back