ES Cpu's and supermicro boards, Custom Bios made here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOCO LAPTOP

[H]F Junkie
If you have a supermicro board with a ES cpu, you would know about the checking nvram error. Well I know how to fix that.

What I need:

1: Motherboard model that uses AMI bios. I currently support intel 5500 and 5520 chipset
2: CPUID and Microcode Revision:

PM me with this, I will mod the bios and post it here for others to download.

Current cpu microcode and CPUID supported:

If you do not see your cpu microcode and CPUID on that list it does not mean its not that I wont support it, I just dont have the code yet. but you can always PM me.
I will not be responsible for anything that happens when you are flashing the bios.

Last edited:
will this help at all if I'm trying to run two different ES CPU's (X5560 and X5570) on a Supermicro X8DTN+ in SMP? I can load into windows and see 16 threads but when tryin to install ESXi I get a PSOD complaining about being unable to initialize SMP.

This is what you need, though he doesn't have a BIOS for your board. Maybe he can do it, don't know. Is your board AMI based? If so give him the info he asks for above and a link to the latest version of the BIOS for your board, and hope for the best.

The X8DTN+ is AMI based, Now I never tired mixing cpus but that just me.

modded bios added to my OP. Enjoy. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick responses guys! I picked up two workstations and the seller claimed they were both the same CPU (they weren't). In the AMI Bios I only show the information for 1 CPU, should it not be showing the info for both if both sockets are used?

The Intel whitepaper on the Intel 55xx chipset says the mixing of CPU's can be used. An abridged version in discussion I found here, gives you the cheat sheet:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/272899-28-different-processors-dual-socket-motherboard

Now I originally tried flashing my bios to the 2.0b hoping it would fix it, but I keep getting an error saying that the bios is write protected. Loco any idea what is going on there? I used an XP virtual machine, downloaded the HP usb format utility and grabbed a dos startup disk, formatted and copied the files over to the disk. Boot up and get that error when attempting to flash. Is there a motherboard jumper I have to switch over?

Well I'm a bit further now. Contacted Supermicro after work today, they couldn't get my bios to flash, they checked the serial and it turns out this board was flashed with an OEM bios (not compatible with the ones on the site) so I'm stuck for the time being.

I did however finally manage to get into the VMdebugger to see what the install failed. It appears as though ESXi sees that both sockets are running at different speeds and therefore it generates an error from allowing me to continue. The only way to get around this probably is to have a board that will allow me to hard set the multipler or clock speed, or just try and find another X5570 ES and get rid of the X5560 ES.

Can't force the flash? It shouldn't hurt anything so long as it's really a BIOS for that hardware.

Nope I believe Supermicro support had me do that with the /F /C arguments when running the ami.bat file. Nonetheless I swapped one CPU out and I'm trying to get the other board working. I believe the towers that I have are:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4U/7046/SYS-7046T-NTR_.cfm

If I can't both CPU's working I will most likely put the other one back up for someone who would like to have a half decent server board and CPU for a reasonable price.

so the new story is that the bios that is on the board right now is a UEFI based one, which is why the downloaded bios from their website will not take. They have basically told me that this was an Intel board (Model X8DTN+-IN001) and that I should contact Intel for support.

I've been bounced around between both companies throughout the day replying to e-mails, both saying they cannot help me. Frustration at this point is an understatment, lol.

locally from a guy who was going to use them for video editing, he claims he got them from some company on the other end of town (close to where I live) says he'll have a replacement board for the one that wasn't booting up. Turns out there is a supermicro x8dtn+-b which comes with a UEFI bios vs the standard bios. No clue where to get an update for it though, doesn't appear that there is one though lots of resellers have it listed as a sku.

Single CPU performance seems to be fine though, ESXi shows the board as being an Intel Greencity as opposed to Supermicro X8DTN+ (like it does for my other Supermicro ESXi boxes).

locally from a guy who was going to use them for video editing, he claims he got them from some company on the other end of town (close to where I live) says he'll have a replacement board for the one that wasn't booting up. Turns out there is a supermicro x8dtn+-b which comes with a UEFI bios vs the standard bios. No clue where to get an update for it though, doesn't appear that there is one though lots of resellers have it listed as a sku.

Single CPU performance seems to be fine though, ESXi shows the board as being an Intel Greencity as opposed to Supermicro X8DTN+ (like it does for my other Supermicro ESXi boxes).

I suspect that Greencity is the Intel Devlopment platform used to develop the Supermicro board. Its probably the DMI that has this wrong info, quite easy to change it on most AMI bios (Just a Windows utility).

Yeah Greencity was the codename for the Intel 5520 chipset (after a bit of google sleuthing). Unforuantely, it's running a UEFI bios as opposed to the regular AMI bios which means it can't be cross flashed.

So the update to all of this is that I ordered two new bios chips from ebay to get a legacy bios running on both servers. It worked great on one for a few days (now the server won't boot due to the chassis indicating that there is a fan failure and PSU failure when all the fans are working and both PSU's work not sure what is going on there). The second board boots however I no longer have NIC's available to me. Is this something than can be programmed into the bios flash?

So the update to all of this is that I ordered two new bios chips from ebay to get a legacy bios running on both servers. It worked great on one for a few days (now the server won't boot due to the chassis indicating that there is a fan failure and PSU failure when all the fans are working and both PSU's work not sure what is going on there). The second board boots however I no longer have NIC's available to me. Is this something than can be programmed into the bios flash?

I would check it isnt some sort of weird hardware revision. Near the bottom pci slot should be the full Supermicro part number, if you give this to SM they might be able to help with any potential deifferences between that board and a retail board.

hey i wanna build an sr-2 board ill trade u guys some 990x cpu ES for those that work on the sr-2

will contact u once I have my SM mobo.. I have a e5640 es that I want to use ;)

so the new story is that the bios that is on the board right now is a UEFI based one, which is why the downloaded bios from their website will not take. They have basically told me that this was an Intel board (Model X8DTN+-IN001) and that I should contact Intel for support.

I've been bounced around between both companies throughout the day replying to e-mails, both saying they cannot help me. Frustration at this point is an understatment, lol.

Have you tried Uniflash? If the UEFI bios chip is the same size as the non UEFI then it should flash the Supermicro bios on the board for you, I have used it before to hot swap recover between boards running Award and Ami etc.MAKE SURE THE SUPERMICRO BIOS WILL WORK WITH THAT BOARD FIRST.

Hey Loco can you add the E5530 D0 ES microcode to an ASUS BIOS? Its also AMI based.

Have you tried Uniflash? If the UEFI bios chip is the same size as the non UEFI then it should flash the Supermicro bios on the board for you, I have used it before to hot swap recover between boards running Award and Ami etc.MAKE SURE THE SUPERMICRO BIOS WILL WORK WITH THAT BOARD FIRST.

Ended up getting replacement chips on ebay for $20 a pop. Then I had more issues (one board wouldn't POST after working for a while and the other had a bad NIC port). Sent those off to SuperMicro and now they claim there was PCB damage (not due to shipping apparently since the box was fine).:mad:

It's been just over 10 business days now and the last status update said both boards failed and would not be repaired. Now I may have two Xeon Quads to offload and look at a new project.

Ended up getting replacement chips on ebay for $20 a pop. Then I had more issues (one board wouldn't POST after working for a while and the other had a bad NIC port). Sent those off to SuperMicro and now they claim there was PCB damage (not due to shipping apparently since the box was fine).:mad:

It's been just over 10 business days now and the last status update said both boards failed and would not be repaired. Now I may have two Xeon Quads to offload and look at a new project.

Sorry to hear it didnt go well. I would be looking at AMD G34 at this point, Bulldozer is drop-in compatible.

I have SR2 and dual xeon X5570 ES, Currently i have tried it with A50 and A56 BIOS from EVGA but both times i get the pc to boot but it gets stuck in the boot sequence at NVRAM check and then code 04 is displayed.

Can you mod A50 and A54 for me? A56 from EVGA can not detect my CPU frequency.

Thanks for any help in advance.

A50

15102011018.jpg

05112011034.jpg

A56

05112011032.jpg

05112011033.jpg

I have SR2 and dual xeon X5570 ES, Currently i have tried it with A50 and A56 BIOS from EVGA but both times i get the pc to boot but it gets stuck in the boot sequence at NVRAM check and then code 04 is displayed.

Can you mod A50 and A54 for me? A56 from EVGA can not detect my CPU frequency.

Thanks for any help in advance.

The Same Issue and me.
Now you have 2 people that will be very grateful.

solved with the help of musky.
here's the solution
hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1037998267&posted=1#post1037998267

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back