ES chip or not?

Compfreak999

Limp Gawd
ok so i got this message form the buyer

rboyer35: before i go to class i have to bring this up. CPU-Z nor sandrasoft recognizes the chip as and ES.. infact when i try to change the multipliers they do not stay. My email is [email protected] if you would like to explain something go ahead. Im gratefull for the chip anyways but if its not an ES i might have to report you for fraud.

heres the exact chip that was sold

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...99/DSC01041.jpg

so im wondering what happened?

any imputs?

if he's able to change the multiplier at ALL, even if they don't stay, then it's still definitely an ES.

What method of chaning the multipliers are you using? And in what Motherboard?

==>lazn

I have seen a ton of s478 and lga775 ES chips, and NONE of them look like that. They say intel confidential, they do not say a step code, clock speed, bus speed or cache. That looks like someone etched in ENGINEERING SAMPLE.

Well they do have a step code but they start with q's.
DSC00442.JPG

I'm no genius in these matters...but that picture the web link goes to definitely looks like a fake ES. It looks like a plain old regular Pentium 4 with some ones not so perfect handy work in etching. Plus the I have never heard of them being referred to as "Engineering Sample, Intel Internal" usually it is "Intel Confidential"

Also the lettering is different and more staggered, jagged looking then the Pentium 4 lettering on the top of the chip.

Anyways, just my observations. Good luck getting that worked out.

just compare the pic above with your pic. its pretty obvious that its not. as that one has intel confidential on it AND has the steping ending in "es"

now ive never owned nor seen a p4 (i know..sad) since im an AMD guy. but to me that definitley looks like a fake.

Im not going to report him i was just mad at that moment. The chip still rocks no matter what but i just feel kind of gipped. I run a 875P-T board and all i need to know is those who have the DFI 875P-T board and an ES chip please tell me if sandrasoft 2005 and CPU-Z post that you are running an ES chip

osirus35 said:
Im not going to report him i was just mad at that moment. The chip still rocks no matter what but i just feel kind of gipped. I run a 875P-T board and all i need to know is those who have the DFI 875P-T board and an ES chip please tell me if sandrasoft 2005 and CPU-Z post that you are running an ES chip

im emailed you back, but yea still trying to work out the sistuation and see whats going on

if your gonna fake something at least get a person with a laser engraver or some other professional engraver to do it :rolleyes:

4b5eN+EE said:
if your gonna fake something at least get a person with a laser engraver or some other professional engraver to do it :rolleyes:

thing is i didnt fake it. its what the chip said, you can ask the buyer, he will vouch for me

osirus35 said:
those who have the DFI 875P-T board and an ES chip please tell me if sandrasoft 2005 and CPU-Z post that you are running an ES chip

Yes, cpu-z says "Genuine Intel(R) CPU 3.80GHz (ES)"

multiplier reads "x 17.0 (14-19)"

the step code on the 3.6 ES's are Q76YES or all the ones I have

Compfreak999 said:
thing is i didnt fake it. its what the chip said, you can ask the buyer, he will vouch for me

No one is accusing you personally of faking it. We're merely pointing out that it has been faked somewhere in its lifetime.

ok then i do not have an ES chip. CPU-z does not state that its an ES chip nor does it state the multiplier range. I knew that it was not right because my other ES cpu showed up as an ES in cpu-z.. anyways here is a screen.

The mem is at 200 because I do not have watercooling yet and since its not ES mulitplier can not be put to lower then 18x

desktop.jpg

I have the latest bios though. actually mine are even beta bios that came out like 3 days ago

Thatonen00b said:
38es.JPG

I see yours doesn't read funky voltages like mine does, mine is at 1.36 also

can you take a pic of your cpu? or does it even look similar to the picture i posted?

i was going to reset my heatsink anyways so ill get a pic up soon. I do not recall the writing on the top but i looked at it briefly before sticking it in my comp (building a new computer and the cpu was the last part so wanted to put it together)

The cpu didnt have marker on it lmao, and im not sure if it said intel confidential on it as well. I think it said engineering something but I will be 100% sure tomorrow

ok i looked at the cpu and the pic is the same as what Compfreak999 posted. But it did not say intel confedential on it.

i believe my ES does not say intel confidential on it either...

I dont really want to take it out to check, but i will if the demand is there ;P

that is an identical processor(the pic I posted) to the one im using, i've got 10 or so ES chips I have pictures of, if you really want me to post them all give me some webspace

desire, the northwood es chips probably look different.

Thatonen00b said:
that is an identical processor to the one im using, i've got 10 or so ES chips I have pictures of, if you really want me to post them all give me some webspace

desire, the northwood es chips probably look different.

so CPU-Z should say that it is an ES chip if i really have one? thats all I need to know to proove i was sold a normal chip

osirus35 said:
so CPU-Z should say that it is an ES chip if i really have one? thats all I need to know to proove i was sold a normal chip

well if you want you can ship back that chip and i can experiment it on my friends computer vs his chip, cuase you both have identical chips, except for serial #.

whats to experiment. Its not an es chip. CPU-Z doesnt pick it up but everyone else who has one on these boards seem to. Now your friend claims that multipliers unlocked doesnt mean thats its and ES chip? thats insane.. you have contacts.. if you can replace it ill send you the cpu back

Well i feel dupped, he cant replace it because his "friend" insist that it is real and not fake. ill keep the chip anyways but i am dissapointed.

you should at least get some money back, that is bs.

edit: oh ok, I was under the assumption that you might have paid well over retail.

well what i paid for the chip is way below retail anyways. he offered a refund but then i wont have a cpu as well so its better then nothing i guess. Its still false advertisement though

i'm probably the friend he's referring to... and he is taking my conversation with him out of context..

I see no way how this could be a fake.
a) Andy got the processor for free and sold it from or for someone else (i'm not really sure)
b) if you think about it, the 'etching'/'engraving' is VERY small scale... it would have taken special machinery or a lot of effort to "fake" it.
c) he/we live VERY close to the Intel campus/sites (if you look back at the thread that the chip was sold to you in, this is confirmed)

It's very probable (i dont see how it couldn't be, in fact) that the chip is indeed an ES.

In my point of view, if the chip says "Engineering Sample" on it it was from intel and it is an engineering sample...

The fact that it does not have a true multiplier unlock is fishy, but not improbably or impossible. It seems to me that the "ES" that you were sold isn't one of the pre-production unlocked ones (this might sound weird, i've never heard of it either, i'm just tossing ideas out) that someone acquired and had no use for.

and how about a better picture of the chip anyways? The flash is really bright on the one he took and there is other writing on the chip that can't be seen...

Also:
to andy: if you know someone at Intel, or whoever gave you this chip.. ask if they can get someone to give some insight on the matter... although that would require you admitting you sold an ES :)

Good luck to both parties.

i dont think anyone said that the print on the chip was fake. I mean it could have been a production error. The chip is not an ES chip im 99% sure because even though the multipliers are locked CPU-Z and Sandrasoft do not pick up the chip as and ES chip (In which normally it would from my previous experience as well as others who posted in this thread.) All i ask was that he could contact his contacts or however he is provided with these chips and exchange it for one that is. I know that they cant just get one whenever they feel like it but i know that they could at least try.

I know that intel doesnt take to kindly to the selling of ES chips and I dont want to report him or anything becuse compfreak seems like a nice guy, but the whole point of me purchasing the chip is to use the unlocked multipliers to my advantage

osirus35 said:
i dont think anyone said that the print on the chip was fake. I mean it could have been a production error. The chip is not an ES chip im 99% sure because even though the multipliers are locked CPU-Z and Sandrasoft do not pick up the chip as and ES chip (In which normally it would from my previous experience as well as others who posted in this thread.) All i ask was that he could contact his contacts or however he is provided with these chips and exchange it for one that is. I know that they cant just get one whenever they feel like it but i know that they could at least try.

I know that intel doesnt take to kindly to the selling of ES chips and I dont want to report him or anything becuse compfreak seems like a nice guy, but the whole point of me purchasing the chip is to use the unlocked multipliers to my advantage

i'll take to the guy that gave me the first chip then (you got the 2nd identical chip) and see him imput. Though i dont think he will reveal much to me

heres the first chip i recieved, IDENTICAL CHIP
DSC00738.jpg

the most i CAN do right now is to contact others and see if they are willing to trade their identical chips, but i cannot obtain a new chip from intel as is it was a promotion for either a 3.2ghz northwood or a 3.6ghz lga775, they had the option of one and that was it. I will see what i can do as stated in the pm i sent back to you.

diredesire said:
b) if you think about it, the 'etching'/'engraving' is VERY small scale... it would have taken special machinery or a lot of effort to "fake" it.

That is true that it takes special machinery, but I am sitting here next to a laser cutter/engraver here at school and could make up a dozen for those in about a half an hour. All you need is the text in autocad, a frame to hold the chip in the right place and then to calibrate the laser so that it matched the etch depth. What puzzles me is that if someone went to the trouble to fake ES chips that were actually functional normal chips, why would they be getting rid of them for free?

Prescott es chip stepcodes go something like Q64YES or Q65 Q76 and so on and so forth. The fact that that processor has SLJ79 on it should be enough to tell you its not real. I don't know why i'm even posting on this topic again, its clear what is going on.

Thatonen00b said:
Prescott es chip stepcodes go something like Q64YES or Q65 Q76 and so on and so forth. The fact that that processor has SLJ79 on it should be enough to tell you its not real. I don't know why i'm even posting on this topic again, its clear what is going on.

i would hope your not calling me a scammer, if i truely was a scammer i would have lost communication instantly, instead im here trying to sort it out.

i dont think you are a scammer because you knew nothing about it. But something went wrong somewhere

Back