Es chip or not?

Compfreak999

Limp Gawd
ok so i got this message form the buyer

rboyer35: before i go to class i have to bring this up. CPU-Z nor sandrasoft recognizes the chip as and ES.. infact when i try to change the multipliers they do not stay. My email is [email protected] if you would like to explain something go ahead. Im gratefull for the chip anyways but if its not an ES i might have to report you for fraud.

heres the exact chip that was sold

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/compfreak999/DSC01041.jpg

so im wondering what happened?

any imputs?

It says Engineering Sample right on it, I would think that it is. If your multiplier isn't sticking, maybe it's a board incompatibility or you're trying to set it outside the acceptable range (ES can change the multi, but only to certain numbers)?

I am by no means an expert, just guessing... :eek:

workingnonstop said:
It says Engineering Sample right on it, I would think that it is. If your multiplier isn't sticking, maybe it's a board incompatibility or you're trying to set it outside the acceptable range (ES can change the multi, but only to certain numbers)?

I am by no means an expert, just guessing... :eek:

i was the seller, the buyer imed me with that quote

Compfreak999 said:
i was the seller, the buyer imed me with that quote
whoops. :(

anyway, I would guess you'd have more luck getting input on this in the Intel forum, as there will be more traffic and more people who know what they're talking about. :)

A question of curiosity: why has part of the ID been whit'd out in the photo?

AceGoober said:
A question of curiosity: why has part of the ID been whit'd out in the photo?

cuase i think my friend wasnt suppose to sell it so im trying i took out the code. precautions, but the rest were unaltered

You sold him exactly what you stated, not ALL engineering samples are going to be the same, and there are bound to be some final cycle ES chips that are multiplier locked.

He has no argument unless you stated that the multipliers are certainly unlocked, although him talking about reporting you for "fraud" puts him well past the reasonable conversation point.

You should take it up with whomever you got that chip from. They clearly etched in the bottom half by themselves. On real ES chips it is all laser etched.

Thatonen00b said:
You should take it up with whomever you got that chip from. They clearly etched in the bottom half by themselves. On real ES chips it is all laser etched.

no that chip was not altered, i got it from a friend direct from intel, he didnt even know what it was when he handed it to me. So the chip has not been altered, this is the 2nd chip i got from intel that is the same design, So yes it came from intel

Edit: WOW I didn't notice until now, that is 100% fake! You got ripped off by the person that sold it to you :( Real engineering samples can be identified by the following: (I did some research)

1. The text "Intel Confidential"
2. A lack of speed rating printed on the chip - No P4 ES chip has a rated speed printed
3. Uniform etching (on your image the "engineering sample" is clearly not original)

Examples of a real ES:

http://www.comexgroup.com/cpu/_intel/img_p4_34/34_front.jpg
http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/1066/img/cpu.JPG

The right thing for you to do is apologize and explain that you didn't know it was a fake, and then offer to accept the chip back for a refund.

k1114 said:
Edit: WOW I didn't notice until now, that is 100% fake! You got ripped off by the person that sold it to you :( Real engineering samples can be identified by the following: (I did some research)

1. The text "Intel Confidential"
2. A lack of speed rating printed on the chip - No P4 ES chip has a rated speed printed
3. Uniform etching (on your image the "engineering sample" is clearly not original)

Examples of a real ES:

http://www.comexgroup.com/cpu/_intel/img_p4_34/34_front.jpg
http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/1066/img/cpu.JPG

The right thing for you to do is apologize and explain that you didn't know it was a fake, and then offer to accept the chip back for a refund.

thats what i dont understand, it was recieved direct from Intel, how can they produce fake chips? yea im going to try to resolve this with the buyer

I have an ES, and the multipliers do scale and hold. There is a speed rating on it. If it was direct from intel, it is most likely (99+%) a real chip.

None of the prescott ES's, both 478 and 775's, that I have seen(close to 20) had speed ratings. Check the thread in the intel section.

Thatonen00b said:
None of the prescott ES's, both 478 and 775's, that I have seen(close to 20) had speed ratings. Check the thread in the intel section.
interesting, i have a northwood so i can't comment...

I also know the OP very well, and i can guarantee you he isn't trying to pull anything... if it makes a difference to anyone, we live near the Intel Hillsboro (about 20 mins away for him) site, so it's not uncommon for ESes to be found if you know the right people... Another thing you guys might not be thinking about is that an 'etch'/engraving of that small scale is pretty damn hard...

Thatonen00b said:

Maybe what you say is true..... but lets see some pics. I have an lga775 3.6es and a 3.2es..... both have speed ratings on them and both are completley unlocked. I really don't care if you believe this or not.... but I did take pics of both cpu's before they were installed and can upload them if you want to see them.

To get back to the original problem..... if it's a real ES, it will show up in CPUZ as an ES, if it doesn't ..... it isn't. It's that simple ;)

pi2483pp.jpg

Back