Errors with Ghost 10

SBMongoos

[H]ard|Gawd
Trying to do backups with Ghost 10. Odd.. never had issues with version 9. Anyway, I select the drive and the location to store the image and I get the following errors shortly after starting the backup.

-Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Recovery point of C:\.
--Errors exist.
---The VSS Provider vetoed the operation. See the application event log.
----Error E0BB0184: There is not enough free space to maintain snapshot image on volume C:\.

Cryptic to me and I'm having a hard time finding help at the Symantec webiste.

So it's clear. I'm not storing the image file onto the drive I'm backup up. I have a large external USB drive I'm backing up to.

Thanks!

Some years ago I was a big fan of Norton/Symantec products, but they've become such resource-hogging kludges that I think they should be avoided.

I highly recommend Terabyte 'Image for Windows' as reliable non-bloat backup/restore imaging software. It provides fast and reliable image_Windows_from_Windows operation and also includes 'Image for Windows' for non-Windows image/restore operation. Also includes byte-for-byte image verification. It will backup/restore an image to/from any device recognized by the system. Their free Phylock utitlity should be used for Windows operation.

The package is $28. I've used it for a year, reliably restoring my Windows partition from DVD media 5 times.

Good stuff!

Also, try using Ghost the correct way, as in DOS or PE environments. A drive imaging program shouldn't be run from within the OS you are trying to image/backup. I have no idea why Symantec even bothered creating an actual Windows app for this.

djnes said:
I have no idea why Symantec even bothered creating an actual Windows app for this.
Because people will often create images of a hard drive using another system. It's an easy process to connect the source/destination hard drive to a system, boot into Windows, open Ghost and create/restore an image file.

Back