Errors when adding networking in ESXi 4.1?

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
Whenever i try to add some kind of new Networking, like a virtual switch or add a switch group I get these errors? what am i doing wrong here? I have 3 nics in my machine and trying to created a new virtual switch for one of them?

Call "HostNetworkSystem.UpdateNetworkConfig" for object "networkSystem" on ESXi "192.168.1.3" failed.
Operation failed, diagnostics report: A portset with this name already exists. Please choose another name.

Call "HostNetworkSystem.UpdateNetworkConfig" for object "networkSystem" on ESXi "192.168.1.3" failed.
Operation failed, diagnostics report: Error interacting with configuration file /etc/vmware/esx.conf: Write failed during Unlock. This is likely due to a full or read-only filesystem. Original Error was: Error interacting with configuration file /etc/vmware/esx.conf: Unable to write to file /etc/vmware/esx.conf.EsE229 while saving /etc/vmware/esx.conf operation aborted. It is likely this was caused by a Full Disk.

Your flash drive full?

My initial thought as well.

What flash drive? I have ESX installed on an 74GB drive...

Some of us run ESXi off a bootable USB drive ..... (1GB for me).....

The only other thing i can think of is going by the exact error message that
the file system (where it is trying to wite) is full.

df -k at a CLI should show you.

I have seen logs fill up a file system pretty easily.
Outside of that ... I have no clue.

Ok, tonight when i booted up my server i was able to create a new virtual switch and add an extra NIC to it. about 2 minutes later when i tried to remove it or went to create another one i started getting these errors again.

the disk i ahve ESXi installed on has 30GB free space left.:confused:

Free space on all partitions?

how do i check each partition? where should I be looking?

the VMFS partition still has 30GB free?

this is the 74GB drive ESX is installed on

lNvgH.jpg

From the ESXi console:

~ # df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
visorfs 1.5G 337.4M 1.1G 22% /
nfs 3.6T 2.0T 1.5T 57% /vmfs/volumes/a04d12b3-ed32f3ef
vfat 249.7M 104.6M 145.1M 42% /vmfs/volumes/ff060de6-cecc88e5-4d14-8726d7ed0132
vfat 249.7M 106.1M 143.7M 42% /vmfs/volumes/65092bef-de8a06b5-22db-2bbbc32dc3d2
vfat 285.9M 136.9M 149.0M 48% /vmfs/volumes/3c3693e8-f77a642a-1910-5c6bdcb26d3a
~ #

From the ESXi console:

~ # df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
visorfs 1.5G 337.4M 1.1G 22% /
nfs 3.6T 2.0T 1.5T 57% /vmfs/volumes/a04d12b3-ed32f3ef
vfat 249.7M 104.6M 145.1M 42% /vmfs/volumes/ff060de6-cecc88e5-4d14-8726d7ed0132
vfat 249.7M 106.1M 143.7M 42% /vmfs/volumes/65092bef-de8a06b5-22db-2bbbc32dc3d2
vfat 285.9M 136.9M 149.0M 48% /vmfs/volumes/3c3693e8-f77a642a-1910-5c6bdcb26d3a
~ #

can you use the console from the vsphere client?

Ok i did the alt-f1 but it says in red that tech mode is disabled by the admin, how do i enable it and get to the CLI?

You read the Admin Guide. :)

You can enable local tech support mode via the text interface.

I think this problem is preventing me from adding the host to vCenter Server, this is what i get, could it be the same problem?

lM1up.jpg

ok here it is, everything looks good, i think?

btw I have been using the root account for everything, i never configured a different account could that cause the problems?

CGnZr.jpg

I ran into this exact same problem, use vdf -h to see the partitions for the file system, logs are stored in a 32MB ramdisk (specifically MAINSYS). Posted about it to but got no replies.

If you check /var/log/ipmi/0/ and the sel and sel.raw files are filling up fast, then its the IPMI.

I did manage to get mine working altho it was rather strange, I decided to set the asset tag, and I don't know if that initialized something or what but it started behaving fine after that?

The other work around is of course to disable the IPMI or CIM.

I ran into this exact same problem, use vdf -h to see the partitions for the file system, logs are stored in a 32MB ramdisk (specifically MAINSYS). Posted about it to but got no replies.

If you check /var/log/ipmi/0/ and the sel and sel.raw files are filling up fast, then its the IPMI.

I did manage to get mine working altho it was rather strange, I decided to set the asset tag, and I don't know if that initialized something or what but it started behaving fine after that?

The other work around is of course to disable the IPMI or CIM.

MAINSYS is still filling up

ls -l

(lowercase "L", not 1 and not uppercase "i")

should show you enough info to pick out the offender.

repeat as needed (ESC+k i think)

what do i type once in that directory?

Type "ls -l" and then keep doing it. See what is growing. Then type "cat FILENAME" to view it. Wouldn't be surprised if it's fan alarms constantly going off. I had that problem with mine. Fan would spin too slow and you can't change the alarm thresholds on these boards. I ended up speeding up the fans in BIOS.

I had this problem once but a reboot cleared it and I haven't seen it since. I made a few IPMI changes at the time..so I'm interested in the cause. Make a good blog post so post what you find in the log file.

sel will probably have "System Boot:" on every single line, and sel.raw will be "efef ef ef ef ef ef..." repeated many many times over, mine did when I had this problem.

sel will probably have "System Boot:" on every single line, and sel.raw will be "efef ef ef ef ef ef..." repeated many many times over, mine did when I had this problem.

yes this is the problem, so what now?

There has to be a reason yours and theirs does it and mine doesn't. Look at the other thread...may be the fan headers. I'm using all mine.

If you have spare fans, just plug a fan in, wait for it to register, unplug it, repeat for each header. and try to get them in alert states. Thats the only other thing I can think of to try.

are there any problem with disabling ipmi in ESXi aside from not being able to monitor system health?

I am just going to try disabling it from here:

RfFJM.jpg

yup, looks like this is working, MAINSYS has yet to go over 4%.

I guess this solves the problem for now but you cannot monitor most of the system health.

Back