Error when trying to join 2003 domain

Skylinerecording

Weaksauce
I am trying to join my XP sp2 computer to a windows 2003 domain. The error I get is domain controller for domain me.com can't be contacted. I can't figure out what is causing this problem. If anyone has had this problem or just knows a solution please let me know. Also if you need more info just ask.

>>me.com

Try just the netbios name (likely just "me").

Hopefully the local domain is not really a ".com". That's a common config error that causes some DNS problems.

Go to the server or another workstation and verify the true domain name. If this is a brand new server install and the domain is ".com" then go back and change that to ".local" before moving on to the workstations. If it's been like that for a while and you have a lot of users, then it's probably not worth fixing until the next big server refresh.

The workstation MUST use the servers IP address for its DNS server, not your router or your ISPs DNS servers....which is what happens if your router is set default handing out DHCP.
The server also MUST use itself for its DNS server.

Thanks for the help we finally figured out what was going on. There was some weird problem in DHCP so we just re-did the scope and it works perfect now

Back