error trying to backup old pms

well ill hijack this thread and say my pms are gone :*(, and i had a good one i forgot to read, im QQ'ing atm

can you move the backup to the new site? or is it just for reference

I also have been unsuccessful in downloading my old PM's from the backup site

Regardless of which format I choose (XML/CSV/TXT), I get the following error code filling up the page:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/hardforum/public_html/private.php on line 743

Any and all hints, tips and/or help much appreciated ;)

I think it has to do with the "NO title and a date 12-31-1969 07:00 PM" messages being lumped in with the good pm's when you do the yellow "Export as..." link way at the bottom.

I went through and clicked the checkboxes next to all the messages that weren't busted, and the drop down below them, selected "export as...". Worked fine.

If you apply the same method as above to the busted pm's, you see the error again.

artless1, I got that same error message.

Scroll down the page a ways. I eventually got to the "Message Dump for User Lethal". From there I just saved as a text file and then edited out the series of error messages in NotePad.

I think it has to do with the "NO title and a date 12-31-1969 07:00 PM" messages being lumped in with the good pm's when you do the yellow "Export as..." link way at the bottom.

I went through and clicked the checkboxes next to all the messages that weren't busted, and the drop down below them, selected "export as...". Worked fine.

If you apply the same method as above to the busted pm's, you see the error again.

I tried checking the boxes of only the real messages showing, and still get:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/hardforum/public_html/private.php on line 743
:p

I'm having no luck here. What exactly am I suppose to do to get my messages? My inbox is empty, I've clicked on all three "XML | CSV | TXT" and it says "You have no private messages to download." I don't see the date "12-31-1969 07:00 PM" anywhere. I guess that means they're gone?

inbox empty - no pms survived. In my case, I had a bunch of corrupt messages, I just deleted them and exported the rest w/o an issue.

I am getting this error

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry to report that if you are getting errors the PMs you have are not recoverable.

so if the backup site does not have any PMs then they are lost for good?

so if the backup site does not have any PMs then they are lost for good?
Seems that way. What sucks is if you had a deal going with someone on the FS/T forum, and lost those PM's regarding the deal.

I've got a low post count and am unable to post in the FS/T forum, so I have no posts in the sellers FS thread; thus no record of ever starting a deal with him. I am am currently waiting to receive shipment of the items I paid for. Since I've lost all my PM's, I don't have any reference to the deal on the forums whatsoever. Fortunately, I paid through Paypal, so that gives me a time frame for when the deal took place.

Now granted, the seller has over 40 positive Heat, so I'm more impatient than I am worried. I'd just like to get the gear in hand, fire it up to make sure it works and clear out the rest of my old junk. :)

Just wondering, could you maybe tell us next time before our pms will get deleted? Not talking in a harsh tone, although it might seem like it, but I just dont want to deal with this again.
Thanks

Just wondering, could you maybe tell us next time before our pms will get deleted? Not talking in a harsh tone, although it might seem like it, but I just dont want to deal with this again.
Thanks

We deleted the CORRUPTED messages. You could not read them anyway. Sorry for your inconvenience. There are several options that allow you to back PMs up to your own hard drives.

Seems that way. What sucks is if you had a deal going with someone on the FS/T forum, and lost those PM's regarding the deal.

I've got a low post count and am unable to post in the FS/T forum, so I have no posts in the sellers FS thread; thus no record of ever starting a deal with him. I am am currently waiting to receive shipment of the items I paid for. Since I've lost all my PM's, I don't have any reference to the deal on the forums whatsoever. Fortunately, I paid through Paypal, so that gives me a time frame for when the deal took place.

Now granted, the seller has over 40 positive Heat, so I'm more impatient than I am worried. I'd just like to get the gear in hand, fire it up to make sure it works and clear out the rest of my old junk. :)

You must be the oldest (in terms of seniority) n00bie here! :eek:

When I click on the link for the backup site I get "403 Forbidden" .

Is there some reason that you need to know?

Probably so people know how long they can procrastinate before backing up their PMs. Maybe they're not at their computer but accessing remotely and want to save their PMs on their home computer rather than someone else's or some Internet cafe.

Also, will backing up as XML files be the easiest way to upload onto the new server or does it not matter CSV vs. XML?

You can't upload them to the new server, so you can save them in what ever format you want.

^ Ouch, procrastinators and travelers lost out! (Luckily, I grabbed mine in time.)

Back