"Error Loading Operating System" ....

GoodOmens

Limp Gawd
I rebooted after a game crash to increase some chip voltage (currently system is uncerclocked and undervolted) and I got that error.

I am 99.99999% sure its caused by me installing windows on my raid drives with a Pata drive connected meaning it got the NTLDR file correct?

My question is this:

Is there a way to fix this without installing windows again?

If I do reinstall will it cause problems when I reconnect my pata drive assuming it has the NTLDR file?

My system as it currently is:

San Diego 3700+ (10x 200) undervolted
DFI Ultra-D (6/23 bios)
2x512 Mushkin Level2 Black - BH-5!! (2-2-2-6!)
2x Sata 10k Raptors
1x Seagate MP3 only 73 gig Pata Drve
BFG nVidia 6600GT OC
Powered By:
PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool 510 SLI
Encased by:
Lian-Li PC-7

Now I've tried with all my hard drives plugged in:

1. Repairing windows from the cd
2. Using recovery console and the command fixmbr

Should I trie fixmbr w/o my pata drive plugged in?

Thanks!

Is this a new windows load? Because I'm a little confused, first you think it's related to the windows install implying you just installed it and it won't boot after the install; but then you say you want to keep the load implying it's an existing load worth saving.

Set BIOS back to default. Set the FSB to the correct clock for the chip, resolve the error, then go to your clocking/volt changing (I have 0 clue why your underclocking).

No I've had this install for over 6 months and just now have this problem. I think its related to when I installed my os over 6 months ago (it will only boot if I have the pata drive selected first in boot order of hard drives even though my raid contains the os).

I am wondering if there is a way to fix it w/o reinstalling windows (cause I know I can reinstall windows w/o having my pata drive connected and this would solve this problem).

I have cleared cmos in bios so thats not the issue.

And I underclock and undervolt so I can passivly cool my chip meaing silence ;-)

I just had this same problem with my computer. For me it was a BIOS issue. I forget what the setting is called, but I had change the hard drive from Auto to Large. That fixed me right up.

Try going into the recovery console, and doing fixmbr and fixboot.
And in the future, when installing windows on an SATA drive or a raid array, either disconnect your pata drives, or disable the IDE channel that the pata drive is on in bios.
However if its been 6 months since the install, now might be a good time to backup any data on the OS drive (Knoppix or some other live linux distro should make backing up data to your pata drive a breeze), and reinstall. Use nLite to slipstream SP2, video, motherboard, and raid (use textmode) drivers, and hotfixes into your windows install disc to save time by not having to do multiple reboots for driver installations and windows updates after the install. And if you have Norton Ghost or similar software, after you install apps and whatever else you need, make an image of the drive, so next time rather than a full reformat, you can just restore the image. This is easiest if you use one partition for windows and applications, and a different partition for games -- keeps the image of windows + apps small. Also, while you are "supposed" to reinstall any software after you reinstall windows - even if its on a different partition, I've found that most games run completely fine on a fresh windows install without being reinstalled (I've never had problems due to not reinstalling after a reformat with Doom 3, Steam + HL2/CSS+HL/CS, NFSU, NFSU2, Farcry, the UT series, Warcraft 3, and... that's all off the top of my head ;) )

im getting the same error man.

check out this

it might help you, didnt do anything for me because my harddrive boot partition got changed from c:\ to i:\

Back