Error after converting from VM Workstation to ESX

cyr0n_k0r

Supreme [H]ardness
I had setup some domain controllers and other VM's inside workstation to deploy at work but when I got there and began converting them to ESX I got a weird error after the conversion was complete.

The error comes from the networking properties after the conversion. The "new" local area connection does not seem to retain the old IP address settings and such, so when I go to specify the IP and DNS information again it comes up with an error saying that a virtual connection already exists with that IP but is not being displayed because it has been removed.

If this safe to ignore? I don't want any networking hiccups when deploying these new domain controllers.

This happens when moving from one virtualization application to another. Workstation handles networking and many other things much differently than ESX or ESXi does. It will do the same thing when you convert a physical machine to virtual (P2V). It will keep the information for the previously configured physical adapters, but will not transfer it over to the virtual NIC on the VM. You instead will get a message like you saw. This is perfectly normal. Now, you do have to be careful when doing these sorts of conversions (workstation to ESX or P2V) because although it won't screw up your DNS/DHCP stuff, nothing will function until you do a few reboots and properly reconfigure your network settings.

If you have sysprep installed within virtual center, Converter enterprise can manage to take care of that for you - or convert like it was a physical machine with it running from inside workstation, and that'll do it to (again, with converter enterprise).

Back