Erratic Shutdowns

NOTD665

Gawd
Just installed all my previously working hardware into a new case, and I'm having some difficult.

The computer powers on and runs for anywhere between thirty seconds and thirty minutes. It tends to go for about two and a half minutes then, when it boots into Windows.

-Booting up regularly, all hardware installed as is: If I leave it in the BIOS, it will shut down after a while. If I boot into Windows, it will shut down after a while.

-Booting up with everything unplugged except mobo, videocard: Same thing as a bove

-Booting up with a different PSU: Interestingly enough, if I leave it in the BIOS, it will run for long periods of time. Boot into Windows, same thing.

I guess the next step is the mobo. Again, this is all the same hardware, nothing really went haywire during the install.

Any ideas?

Maybe the mb is shorting out somewhere. Reseat your HSF and/or Memory....

My bet is on heat. Check your temperatures as previously stated. This should be one of the first steps...

If it is, just reseat the heatsink with a proper application of thermal grease.

Heat was a concern. So I let it run in the BIOS, and stopped the CPU fan with my finger. The temp rose from about 45 to 52 then shut off. This was over a period of time, so it was obvious that the reason it shut down WAS NOT because the board was sensing no fan rotation.

I just reinstalled with some AS5 and my heatsink. Temps seem lower. I currently have the fan stopped, and the temperature is slowly climbing. I'll see what happens in a minute...

Back