Erasing Used Hard Drive

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by Daarken, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Daarken

Daarken [H]Lite

I am asking on behalf of a non profit refurbished computer provider that reconditions used PC's and then donates them to low income families, churches, and schools.
    They have been offered a large number of used systems, however both companies want to remove the hard drives and destroy them before donating the systems.
    Both companies indicated that if the organization can has a utility that documents (printout) the wipe/complete erase of the hard drives they will provide the systems with the existing hard drives.
    The non-profit does not have the funds to provide new drives, or to purchase a "professional" utility.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. PliotronX

PliotronX [H]ard|Gawd

We use Active@ KillDisk with the 3 pass DoD method and the completion will allow you to save a PDF or print documentation. Try out the freeware

http://www.killdisk.com

3. thebufenator

thebufenator Gawd

Windows disk formatting allows you to over write with all 0's with however many passes you want

ZeqOBpf6 likes this.
  4. mwroobel

mwroobel [H]ardness Supreme

TrailRunner likes this.
  5. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

I'd love a low cost appliance for this. I have a pile of disks and the last time I started down the road, my machine was tied up forever. Maybe I'll re-purpose an old PC that's to be mothballed.

6. Daarken

Daarken [H]Lite

Thanks to everyone for their replies and assistance.

7. rtangwai

rtangwai [H]ard|Gawd

reBOOT Canada (similar charity to your non-profit) used DBAN - I know, I used to be their CTO.

If you use a lot of untrained volunteers you can modify the startup of DBAN so that when it boots from the CD/USB key it will automatically erase the drive using the specification you want (single-pass, DoD, RCMP, etc.) without having to select anything. That way you can make sure the drives are erased to the specification the donors may demand.

Daarken and TrailRunner like this.
  8. Daarken

Daarken [H]Lite

Would you mind if I PM'd you?

9. rtangwai

rtangwai [H]ard|Gawd

10. Mega6

Mega6 Gawd

Daarken likes this.
  11. Daarken

Daarken [H]Lite

12. boss6021

boss6021 Limp Gawd

Another vote for Killdisk. Our clients like the certificates it creates for data destruction.