Erasing HDDs w/o hook up

sammy5gs

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 11, 2003
Messages
142
Hey All...

Please excuse the newb question here. Is there any way to erase the contents of a hard drive without actually hooking it up to a PC? I took down a system which had three SATA drives with a blown mobo. I wanted to clear out the SATA hdds, but since I do not have another mobo (with SATA), I think I am stuck.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance, folks.
 
Hard drives are a magnetic media. I would think that if you have a strong enough magnet, such as a bulk tape eraser, it might be strong enough to erase or at least jumble the contents of the hard drive.
 
It would take a pretty powerful magnet, but it is certainly possible. You might pick up some neodymium earth magnets (Cyberguys sell them, careful around pacemakers!). However, since you have no way to hook them up, you have no way to verify it worked :p
 
Back
Top