Eraser only sees 137Gb of an empty 160Gb drive

lappyhappy

Weaksauce
I just deleted everything off an external HD and I want to run Eraser on it so it's really clean. When I go to run Eraser it only shows 137Gb of unused space.

If I run Eraser on this "137Gb" will it really clean the entire HD? Do I need to do something else?

***Edit - gonna try reformatting it first, maybe that'll get rid of whatever is on there but not showing up...

How much space does Windows show on your external drive? If it also shows 137 then my guess is that you're using an old enclosure that doesn't support support 48 bit LBA. If you use a newer enclosure, or install it into your computer it will see the full drive.

How much space does Windows show on your external drive? If it also shows 137 then my guess is that you're using an old enclosure that doesn't support support 48 bit LBA. If you use a newer enclosure, or install it into your computer it will see the full drive.

Thanks for the reply. Windows was also showing a "lower than actual" amount of space on the drive. However, all is good after formatting. Now both windows and eraser see the completely empty drive so I can now erase everything. Thanks again.

Back