Erase sensitive data

Metraon

Limp Gawd
I want to erase "live" sensitive data on several windows 7 computers. Mostly excel spreadsheets and word documents

I dont want to wipe the entire disk yet, because all the computers are in used by users. When decommissioned, I will wipe the disk with DBAN.

Is there a program that can erase specific files and folders ? I heard about eraser but is it secure (from what I am reading, people says its buggy) ?

Any paid alternatives ?

Erase the files, then do a free space wipe. That is about the best you can do on a live system and it will only be reliable on harddrives, it may not work on SSDs.

Most applications that write documents use a save protocol that involves writing the new version of the document to a temporary file and then renaming the temporary file over the existing file and "freeing" the existing file's blocks in the process. This is done to ensure that even if the save is interrupted the copy left on disk is consistent and not corrupted. This process can potentially leave a lot of recoverable copies on the disk. This is why a simple "shred in place" process will not be effective and why a free space wipe is necessary.

I've personally been using O&O SafeErase since version 3.0. I've done all the heavy lifting on my own over the years to verify that it does what it does testing more ways than I can count. There are other free programs out there (CCLeaner), but I trust those German folks. They know what they're doing and make some awesome products for a modest price.

As devman mentioned. Securely wiping the files is one part, but wiping the free space for already deleted files is a must at least once. I run a free disk wipe either bi-weekly or monthly just to be safe.

FYI don't worry about anything other than a 1 pass. Could be all zero's or all random values. Done enough research on the matter, as I'm paranoid, to realize that it's a smoke screen and waste of your time doing more.

bro, mail it to lois lerner, i hear she does this kind of thing for free and i know that no gov will be able to find anything she "loses"

For HDD nuking DBAN CD/USB works awesome. For HDDs I use Eraser and for SSDs I have not come across software to do it while in use but if I want to erase a SSD each manufacture has some type of secure erase software for the SSDs.

Do not use normal secure erasing software on SSDs this will brick them.

For HDD nuking DBAN CD/USB works awesome. For HDDs I use Eraser and for SSDs I have not come across software to do it while in use but if I want to erase a SSD each manufacture has some type of secure erase software for the SSDs.

Do not use normal secure erasing software on SSDs this will brick them.

You didn't even read the OP.

The the OP, CCleaner has the ability to wipe free space on a disk:

1MqdXH2.png

I use Eraser to wipe drives in Windows, and it seems to work fine. Installs to the system tray and integrates into Explorer.

I've personally been using O&O SafeErase since version 3.0. I've done all the heavy lifting on my own over the years to verify that it does what it does testing more ways than I can count. There are other free programs out there (CCLeaner), but I trust those German folks. They know what they're doing and make some awesome products for a modest price.

As devman mentioned. Securely wiping the files is one part, but wiping the free space for already deleted files is a must at least once. I run a free disk wipe either bi-weekly or monthly just to be safe.

FYI don't worry about anything other than a 1 pass. Could be all zero's or all random values. Done enough research on the matter, as I'm paranoid, to realize that it's a smoke screen and waste of your time doing more.

Thanks ! I am going to try this.

Back