EPoX EP-8RGMI good board?

I'll second the call for the MN31N - just built a system for a local piano teacher using that board.

Just be sure you have the LATEST bios installed before you try to install windows. In early BIOSes, the "RAM Precharge" is enabled, and there is no BIOS switch to turn it off. The RAM Precharge corrupts the onboard video and then crashes the system while loading or running windows. The latest BIOS makes the setting available to the user, and defaults it to off, whereupon the system was rock stable at stock barton2500+ speeds.

Made me scratch my head on my build for a bit until I found the solution.

Other than that, its a very nice little board, with all the features (including firewire!) that you could ask for - except SATA. Note that the Newegg pics don't show the firewire bracket, but one *is* included in the package.

BB

OH - one caveat - if you need to use a PCI slot for something (say a Modem) the placement of the front panel sound connectors makes it difficult, if not impossible to put anything in PCI slot number 2. I ran into that problem, so I just put the modem into slot three, but with the avoidance of slot 1, due to potential video conflicts, and then the placement of those connectors - if you use them - that leaves only one really useful PCI slot available to you.

BB

well as he said its for his carputer, the plan is to underclock a mobile for the absolute coolest CPU possible, throw in 512 DDR, attach a 7 inch touchscreen LCD, and a harddrive. maybe a CD drive as well so stuff can be easily copied. it just has to be 110% stable because if anything goes wrong it will NOT be easy to fuck around with

i know all this because I live right by him and am helping :D

find me a good mini-itx AMD board

i dont want one of the Via epia boards i cant justify buying something slow for a outragious price

Back