Epox EP-8K7A Exploded Capacitors?

DCookSta

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm sure that you guys remember this board...anyway I was experiencing random lockups when the computer was just sitting. When I'm using the computer it's just fine. But I have to get the thing to start up. When I first power the machine on, I hear a high pitched squeeling sound coming from somewhere on the board, haven't been able to pinpoint the actual spot yet, and the computer restarts over and over without getting to POST. Then after about 10 times it starts normally by itself. All my voltages look fine from Windows.

I read here about the " ABIT VP6 Problem" where the capacitors were shot on the MB. I took some shots of my capacitors and they seem to kinda exploded at the tops of them...Is it time for a new board, cause I don't think capacitors should have almost open tops on them.

board1.jpg

board2.jpg

yup them are bad caps, you can get them replaced or get a new motherboard....

3 months ago I got an RMA number on my 3 year old 8k7a. I had 5 leaky caps, 3 of which were cracked right above the AGP slot.

I contacted an Epox Rep via amdmb.com. Not sure if we have Reps here as well - give it a try.

BTW - Epox wanted a $25.00 M/O shipped with the board for back shipping. I was told it would be repaired only. I sold the mobo w/the RMA so not sure what the outcome is/was.

-=M=-

I see that all the time on ECS boards .... you, sir, need a new mobo.

See that alot on all MB from that time period. Except MSI who had that problem well into the P4 boards. Its a though call. You can get a newer board for like another $25-$35.00.

Back