Epiphany processor with 64 cores.

-alias-

Limp Gawd
Is this some thing we could use for folding?

http://www.hpcwire.com/hpcwire/2013-04-23/adapteva_shows_off_$99_supercomputer_boards.html

impressive, gflops is pretty decent, especially for the watts but pretty sure there is no ARM distribution of F@H let alone one that would take advantage of a coprocessor

Thanks for answer.
If this is the future of parallel computing so should certainly Stanford FAH adjust to this type of cpu also.

Well if it could run OpenCl then it could run core_17
Although core_17 is listed as a GPU core it is designed to run on anything that can run opencl

f@h would have to recognize it and support it though right? don't they have a list of devices that can use the "gpu" cores?

As far as I know on linux they just detect any OpenCL device and let it run on that.

Well if it could run OpenCl then it could run core_17
Although core_17 is listed as a GPU core it is designed to run on anything that can run opencl
While C part of Open*C*L may be universal, one would need to build (compile) a binary
targeting the platform.

Still, at 100 GFLOPS (single precision) it's pretty lousy performance for $99.

$99 GPU gets you 800 SP GFLOPS.

So what you are saying here is that when it comes to folding, this Epiphany 64 core processor is more of a toy to speak of?

While C part of Open*C*L may be universal, one would need to build (compile) a binary
targeting the platform.

Still, at 100 GFLOPS (single precision) it's pretty lousy performance for $99.

$99 GPU gets you 800 SP GFLOPS.

Too bad they didn't give the power draw off of maximum usage. That might make the difference comparing to the GPU. As far as I can tell from the article, the $99 also comes with the dual core ARM processor/Pi'ish board. Since you would only need a memory card added to it to load a full Linux or Android OS, it kinda beats the GPU Price (considering you need also the full PC and the power it consumes). So, without more info..it is just apples to oranges.

So what you are saying here is that when it comes to folding, this Epiphany 64 core processor is more of a toy to speak of?

One could state this would be a correct statement , yes?

Mhm. I'm sure there are other applications of this chip that are more feasible :)

Yep. Last job I did a lot of embedded programming on ARM based SBC. This one does look pretty nice. I am tempted to pick one up and jump back in.

Anyway, I am now on the list to have one when the time's come. I think this might be one funny project to play around with, and see what it can do.

Back