Epic vs Evo defaults

black0ut

Gawd
This is NOT another "wats better, epic or evo??!" thread. I just want to know which one is better out of the box, as I'll be testing both of them for the 30 day trial and don't want to bias against the one that is worse out of the box.*

*Unless it is possible to root and stick a custom rom on there during the 30 day trial and then factory reset it when I have to return it.

You can do that with the EVO. I own an Epic and I really like the phone but I have not rooted it yet because I was waiting on 2.2 I do not nor have ever owned an EVO but from what I hear it is a great phone. I personally chose the epic because I wanted the physical keyboard and I liked the looks of the phone. those are personal reasons though and you may not want to run this thread at all since you will be doing the 30 day trial on those phones anyway. You will see for yourself.

Generally HTC phones are better out of the box than Samsung or even Motorola phones, and from my experience of handling other people's phones (two people with EVO's and one with an Epic), that holds true for EVO vs. Epic. At the very base, SenseUI is pretty much universally considered superior to TouchWiz (the latter of which tends to be universally reviled).

The only thing the Epic does out of the box better than the EVO is battery life. EVO's battery life is the #1 killer for the phone while the Epic, like all the Galaxy S phones, has excellent battery life out of the box.

I'm under the impression that it's possible to reflash all android phones back to stock, however I won't say for certain since I've never personally done it for those two phones.

Actually, as someone who owns the Epic and works with the EVO every day, I disagree completely. The Epic's battery life is HORRIBLE out of the box, and needs a few weeks of conditioning and playing with the battery to make it last the day.

As for the UI, out of the box I prefer the widgets of Sense, but the style of TouchWiz. As for TW being universally reviled, the general public seems to be in complete disagreement, and even reviews say it's not as bad/invasive as they thought it would be. The public loves the iPhone styled menus, because, well, they're the general public. They couldn't care less about "ripping off apple", they think it should be that way for every phone.

I will say that the TouchWiz widgets are absolutely WORTHLESS, and tossing in FancyWidget for the HTC-styled flipclock/weather, along with Pure calendar makes it a lot more usable.

That being said, both phones are generally excellent. If you want a hardware keyboard (and it really is a good one), go for the Epic. If you want a slate device, go for the EVO. Either way, you're getting an awesome phone.

I had the Evo for 3 months and the epic for 2 weeks. I really think the Evo is better out of the box, it has very useful widgets, the gps works well, most things just work well on the phone. Pretty much regret getting rid of the Evo.

If you want a physical keyboard, get the epic. If you like Swype and don't want your phone to have another place to trap lint and dust, get the Evo like I did. Personally, I don't like sense or touchwiz... love my Launcher Pro Plus.

Unsure about rooting the Epic and returning to stock, but totally possible and easy to do on the Evo.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=619

It's extremely easy to root, install custom roms, and return to stock on Galaxy S phones. The Nexus One is probably the only phone that's easier.

Thanks for quoting me out of context. If you had actually finished reading the post, I was asking which was better *OUT OF THE BOX*, so as to be less influenced by differences during the 30 day trial. However, now that people have confirmed that the phones can be rooted/customized/etc and then flashed back to stock, the entire question is moot.

Back