Epic Citadel

Serpico

[H]F Junkie
The demo that Epic Games presented at the conference today is up on iTunes.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/epic-citadel/id388888815?mt=8

All I can say is holy crap. As amazing as John Carmack's demo at Quakecon was, this is on another level. I've never seen anything look this good on a mobile device. The fact that its on a superdense >300 DPI display makes it even better, can't see any pixels in the textures.

Here is a screenshot that someone posted on the Shacknews forums.

IMG_1131.PNG

Check it out, its pretty amazing.

It's an impressive demo. The iPhone's graphics hardware is pretty proven, but something needs to be done about the horribly generic art direction.

Good job, Epic.

My biggest issue is actually FPS control with a touchscreen, always has been. Its why tower defense games work so well on the device. They did fix that with a tap-to-move control in this demo as well as the virtual thumbsticks, which is cool. I dunno, I always see these as more of a "gee whiz" tech demo than a game I would like to play, and that is 100% because of the physical interface. Hopefully someone makes a game outside of the FPS genre that is also visually stunning and plays well on a little touchscreen. We'll see.

Still, its pretty amazing to see what this little hardware can do. I mean, ten years ago my mp3 player was a Rio mp3 CD player that I had to burn a bunch of CDs for, flash players couldn't even fit a whole CD, hard disk based players were these massive bricks with horrible battery life and navigation, and the iPod hasn't been released yet. Now we're looking at graphics like this on a handheld, its insane.

At this pace, I can't wait to see what the 2020 gadgets look like. :)

I could see the appeal of turn-based RPGs on this kind of a platform. There's nothing difficult about moving around with virtual thumbsticks, it's just rapid movements and precise control which are too difficult for first-person action games. Take away the need for Godlike precision and you eliminate the main beef I have with first-person games on little mobile devices. And obviously an isometric game like the original Fallout would be incredibly good on the iPad. Isometric perspectives have the added benefit of making it easy to get very consistent levels of performance.

So, you take something a bit like Oblivion but pull out the element of real-time combat and you'd wind up with a pretty compelling game that isn't annoyingly frustrating to play.

Yea... I got it right away for the iPad. Wish carmack would release a tech demo of rage so I can see it side by side

its actually very impressive. But as far as im concerned , the best games on the iphone are quite simple in graphics , while the more detailed ones suck badly.

I've been messing with it all day on my iPad..... it looks really nice, that's for sure. There are a few spots where the aa is apparent, but really, it's not a huge detractor to me.

Am i the only one who was thinking "about time"? I dont know if you guys remember but back in the days when dell was pretty much king of the pocket PCs, you could get quake 3 and all sorts of PS1 emulators running on them. That was like 8-9 years ago. Plus the psp came out like 5-6 years ago, and really the iphone SHOULD be blowing that away graphically now.

So jealous right now of the iPhones GPU power. The Adreno in my Evo blows.

Back