Epic Citadel on iOS

-Sn1PeR-

2[H]4U
I'm pretty blown away right now by the graphics on Epic Citadel -- a new tech demo from Epic and Cliff Bleszinski. Cliff released it for free on the App Store today after the Apple conference. Check it out if you have a new iPhone! Unreal Engine 3 on iOS! Screenshots below:

http://www.epicgames.com/news/epic-games-brings-unreal-engine-3-to-ipad-iphone-and-ipod-touch

Note that on the iPhone screen you really can't see most of the aliasing that shows up blown up on the lower ppi computer monitor.
Screenshots taken from gameplay on iPhone 4:

IMG_0161.png

IMG_0160.png

IMG_0159.png

IMG_0158.png

Last edited:
I'm impressed, though I'm still waiting for Epic to release v4 of the Unreal engine. They forgot that consoles & mobile devices are not the means to freeze time & show it off on aging or new mobile hardware. They need to get back to the basics & build from PC first with new 3D engine technology.

i just downloaded it. looks pretty amazing for a cellphone... i noticed that the phone got pretty warm rather quickly... i am sure it would kill your battery quickly if you let it run for an hour or 2

I'm impressed, though I'm still waiting for Epic to release v4 of the Unreal engine. They forgot that consoles & mobile devices are not the means to freeze time & show it off on aging or new mobile hardware. They need to get back to the basics & build from PC first with new 3D engine technology.

Couldn't agree more. I want some new engine love for my eyefinity setup!

They need to bring this to Android. I want to actually use the GPU in my phone...it would rip this game apart

very nice.. impressive indeed :)

I would love to see some UE3 games ported over to the idevices. They NEED some sort of analog joystick and buttons though. You can only do so much with a touchscreen

Looks great. I can't wait to grab it at home, but it's too big to DL over 3G.

Looks great. I can't wait to grab it at home, but it's too big to DL over 3G.

3GUnrestricter FTW. I got my copy over 3g :cool:

I wish someone would build a mount for a ps3 controller so the iPhone snaps on and you could use bluetooth...

very nice.. impressive indeed :)

I would love to see some UE3 games ported over to the idevices. They NEED some sort of analog joystick and buttons though. You can only do so much with a touchscreen

Well, they have simulated PS2/XBox controller input on the screen, like thumbsticks. Works surprisingly well here.

Well, they have simulated PS2/XBox controller input on the screen, like thumbsticks. Works surprisingly well here.

Oh I know, but those control schemes just bug me. As soon as the device starts getting warm/hot, my fingers have a tendency to stick to the screen and make playing rough to say the least... not to mention you're covering half of the screen with your fingers

Operation Sandstorm did a pretty good job at overcoming some of the shortfalls, but an actual joystick and physical buttons would be the best solution. I really hope they do some sort of official gaming edition iphone/itouch.

Pretty sweet with Epic and Carmac working on iphone graphic engines. Sony and to a lesser extent Nintendo aren't going to like this.

I'm not really interested with getting games that you analog sticks ported over. Looking more forward to playing games made with touch controls in mind.

They need to bring this to Android. I want to actually use the GPU in my phone...it would rip this game apart

Few game developers care about targeting Android for something like this due to the vastly different hardware, screen resolution, input methods, and form factor that devices use. Plus the rapid churn of Android devices makes the whole market a moving target. The OS fragmentation (especially companies releasing new devices with old firmware) helps keep poking sticks into eyes.

iPhones are a very attractive target for development since they know everyone is using a limited selection of hardware. You can design a game for 3GS and iPhone 4s, optimize for the specific platforms, and know its going to work perfectly on those phones and be available to a huge number of customers. This leads to better games that are cheaper to develop and can be played by more people.

Jaw-dropping. That's all there is to say about this. Still some obvious aliasing on the Retina display, but the fidelity is incredibly impressive.

Just wish they had stuck some monsters or whatever on the map. you can tell it's just a bare map, there are even spots where obviously people were meant to be.

pretty friggen sick graphics though. retina display FTW!

It looks really amazing on the iPhone 4's display. Can't believe we're seeing this on a frigging phone

Stunning visuals for sure. The fake sticks work surprisingly well, but I still wish we had other options.
Seeing this makes me think that serious business 3D RPG's (like Morrowind) could work just fine on the iPhone.

Man this is so awesome. I agree I wish they had stuck some AI or something in, but with the way it looks its almost pleasant in a sense to just walk around.

Yeah, it's kind of relaxing in a way. I'd actually to see a slow-paced exploration RPG-type game on this engine. No hectic combat and no insane difficulty levels, just something you can pick up and play to slow things down a little where the framerate doesn't really matter too much. I end up spending a lot of time playing Zen Bound for just that reason.

Absolutely mind blowing.

My old consoles now feel REALLY ancient. I remember thinking around 2004 when I was playing Sonic on my dad's cell phone that It'l be really cool if phones had 3D games like Quake III...And now, 6 years later, theres a game that looks even better than Quake III all running from this little device.

Anyone have any screens from the iPad?
It's a universal app, so everything should be pretty much the same apart from the resolution. It does feel like the frame rate is a little worse on the iPad though, for some reason.

It's a universal app, so everything should be pretty much the same apart from the resolution. It does feel like the frame rate is a little worse on the iPad though, for some reason.

Less ram, same cpu, but more pixels to drive. Thats my guess. Oh, and iOS 3 instead of iOS 4.

I tried it out on the ipad ( I don't have a 4th gen iphone) and while the graphics are amazing, the frame rate, as phide says, isn't the best.

I really hope something comes out of this. I'd love to see serious games made for the ipad instead of all the time wasters (though I've thoroughly enjoyed BrokenSword).

Less ram, same cpu, but more pixels to drive. Thats my guess. Oh, and iOS 3 instead of iOS 4.

I think the only reason it would look better on the ipad is simply a larger screen. You aren't gaining any sharpness, in fact you're losing dpi. You aren't losing that many pixels from the iphone 4 going to the ipad, they're just condensed into a smaller screen.

iphone 4: 960x640
ipad: 1024x768

Touch controls = fail

give us some damn buttons !!!!!!!!!!

[Strategy games would be fierce on an ipad with the touch interface.

While I'd definitely prefer buttons, it is nice that the game will place the touch-pads wherever you place your thumbs on the screen. No more fingers slipping off of the weird fake d-pad. It's something I hope id does, too.

While I'd definitely prefer buttons, it is nice that the game will place the touch-pads wherever you place your thumbs on the screen. No more fingers slipping off of the weird fake d-pad. It's something I hope id does, too.

There are several games that have that... it didn't help IMO.

The touch screen on an ipad could do some cool stuff i bet, but nobody is using it. Putting fake joysticks on the bottom of the screen is a cop-out IMO. Design a friggin touch interface or make games for the PSP.

i think they should just make a bluetooth controller and be done with it.

those graphics look amazing for an iphone/ipad. i dont think i would be dissapointed in a pc game with graphics that good, especially that wide shot of the whole castle.

wait.. this is for an apple product....

rabble rabble rabble i hate steve jobs rabble rabble rabble oversized overpriced phone that doesnt call people rabble rabble should have bought a netbook rabble rabble rabble

k theres my obligatory pod hating.

The 1st new pic looks really good. I'm really looking forward to messing around with this once I get a new iPod Touch 4. :D

I tried it out on the iPads we have at work. Framerate takes a little bit of a hit, but it's not too bad. The iPhone 4 definitely takes the cake for quality.
Knowing Epic (UT3 on the PS3 supported KB/M) and the fact that it's possible to do now, I'd suspect the final product will likely support as many control systems as possible.

I had no idea you could run games on a cisco router :)

also, the original UT supported KB/M on the ps2 as well

Just got done playing on my iPhone 4 and took some pics of myself playing, with my second iPhone 4 of course.

2yjq492.png

Screenshot above = win. But I would think those Cheeto marks would be more in swirls. :p And who gets Cheeto cheese on top of their fingers?

Screenshot above = win. But I would think those Cheeto marks would be more in swirls. :p And who gets Cheeto cheese on top of their fingers?

I really love my Cheetos man. Also I'm at work, I did that with paint, cut me some fucking slack. :D

The main question... why would you use an iPhone 4, iPad or iPod Touch 4 with dirty fingers?! o_O That would really smudge up them up. By the way, does the iPad have Gorilla Glass, too? How smudge-proof is Gorilla Glass? :)

The main question... why would you use an iPhone 4, iPad or iPod Touch 4 with dirty fingers?! o_O That would really smudge up them up. By the way, does the iPad have Gorilla Glass, too? How smudge-proof is Gorilla Glass? :)

The iPhone does not use gorilla glass and nothing is smudge proof. Also I love Cheetos and everything I own is covered in Cheeto grease.

Back