Ep2 impressions so for its childish

dennab205

Limp Gawd
I have only played for about 30 minutes and this is ridiculous. How dumb did this game have to be? Is it because of the kiddy console players or what? Im a grown man and I feel like a part of brain has been removed while playing. The adults that have played the game will probably know what I mean since I dont want to spoil it by going into detail. Lets just say you will be treated like a 10 year who has never played a fps and has no clue what HL is all about. Very cheesy to say the least.

ok, lets go through this in linear order...first some reasoning would be nice, also, the game is not totally unambiguous. i mean for all valve knows, ep2 might be the first FPS any1 has ever played.

They have to consider that new people may indeed be playing, who haven't played EP1 or even HL2 original.

They have to consider that new people may indeed be playing, who haven't played EP1 or even HL2 original.
yeah maybe it was just the first bits of the game to get new players accustomed. it was just the simple little puzzles and how ignorant and simple minded Alyx seems to be. Its like she astonished at every little thing Gordon does.

yeah maybe it was just the first bits of the game to get new players accustomed. it was just the simple little puzzles and how ignorant and simple minded Alyx seems to be. Its like she astonished at every little thing Gordon does.

maybe shes mentaly retarded?

I haven't play it yet but, why should it have to be rationalized? The game is quite clearly a sequel and they could have simply added in a training sequence for the console port.

the only technical problem with the game is that it resets the textures back to medium when starting a new game. it was doing that in TF2 also so hopefully they will patch that up this week. I likes me textures on very high not medium. the graphics in the game are pretty darn good except you can textures change a little when moving around. anybody now what the technical term for that is??

for me it resets to "high" i have to select "very high" each time I start a game
it defaults to whatever was originally recommended. its weird because its the only setting that will go back to default. could you answer my question I just asked about textures changing as you get closer to them? is that called texture popping or is that something else??

Maybe the game designers were primarily focusing on xbox-360 tards? :eek:

Nooooo, if Value have dumbed it down to cater of the consoles then I'll cry, bloody consoles I hate them - the worst thing that has happened to PC gaming ever :mad:

Value, we all know the story, we are all avid fans. Don't patronise us.

Nooooo, if Value have dumbed it down to cater of the consoles then I'll cry, bloody consoles I hate them - the worst thing that has happened to PC gaming ever :mad:

I just have to ask. Why do you think Episode 2 was delayed several times ?
I think you already know the answer...
Valve just wants to take a piece of money cake, that the console market is. PC Gamers are usually the ones that pay for it.

its not so bad now that Im farther along :)

it defaults to whatever was originally recommended. its weird because its the only setting that will go back to default. could you answer my question I just asked about textures changing as you get closer to them? is that called texture popping or is that something else??

you mean level of detail?

you mean level of detail?
I guess so. You now as you get closer to or further from certain objects the "detail" changes a bit. Its really obvious in Source games and Im curious as to what exactly is this called and why does it happen?

Some games/engines are better at hiding the change in polygon sizes at distances than others, perhaps this one isn't the best in that area.

Get a grip. Ep1 had gobs of user training too. It's part of valve's style.

The effect is called "MIP Mapping" or "LOD Bias" (Level of Detail). As you approach objects, the textures are swapped out for higher detail textures. If they tried to render everything with high detail textures regardless of distance, the game would chug. Source games have had comparitively rough textures vs. games released since mid-2005. Newer engines in games like Stalker do a better job of concealing the swap-out.

Valve dumming down the HL franchise on the PC to accomodate cross platform development would be the last straw for me, If I find out later today that Ep2 reeks of console I think I'll just boycot their games.

Valve dumming down the HL franchise on the PC to accomodate cross platform development would be the last straw for me, If I find out later today that Ep2 reeks of console I think I'll just boycot their games.

TF2

I would certainly like to hear your thoughts on how or why TF2 is "dumbed down."

TF2 is dumbed down to a certain degree, but I wouldn't say the reason for that is because of consoles, if you listen to the commentary nodes they give specific reasons as to why some of the changes were made, like the removal of grenades. Whether its true or not, who knows.

I just have to ask. Why do you think Episode 2 was delayed several times ?
I think you already know the answer...
Valve just wants to take a piece of money cake, that the console market is. PC Gamers are usually the ones that pay for it.

A company trying to make money? Perish the thought.

A company trying to make money? Perish the thought.

I think you missed the point. Delaying the game, because of the console market (to make more money, as I also mentioned), inevitably also changes the game itself. And "dumbed down" is the expression we use for it. Usually PC just takes the left overs of the console version and never the other way around. No game (that I know of at least), that is a cross-platform title, ever had major differences between the console version and PC version.

episode 1 and half life 2 were all 'dumbed down' at the beginning of the game too. Even though they packaged HL2 and Ep1 with Episode 2 they assume that some total noobs will go straight into it. It's always been like that.

I think you missed the point. Delaying the game, because of the console market (to make more money, as I also mentioned), inevitably also changes the game itself. And "dumbed down" is the expression we use for it. Usually PC just takes the left overs of the console version and never the other way around. No game (that I know of at least), that is a cross-platform title, ever had major differences between the console version and PC version.

Gears of War looks to have some pretty significant differences between the console and PC version - namely in the single player.

It's like the game was delayed for the PC crowd just to add a bunch of cool shit back in.

GRAW?

That makes zero sense. Orange Box comes with HL2, HL2Ep1 and HL2Ep2. So a new player jumps right into HL2Ep2?

That makes zero sense. Orange Box comes with HL2, HL2Ep1 and HL2Ep2. So a new player jumps right into HL2Ep2?
well to be fair Ep 2 can be purchased separately. but still, playing Ep 2 without playing Ep 1or HL2 first does seem a little odd.

I remember when spiderman was released back a few years ago. It was a cross platform game with major differences. The Console version (better version) was released by one company, while the PC version (why oh why was this pos allowed to be released?) was made by a different company. So even though both versions were made by different companies, it was still marketed as the same game.

I've played about an hour, I'm slow and like to look around. As far as I'm concerned, EP2 is as good as it's ever been. There's onlt been about 5 minutes so far where it hasnt been non-stop action. Picked right up where EP1 got off!

This texture thing is interesting me. I have a dual boot. My Vista 64 looks like shit compared to the XP.....maybe it reset on me, I'll have to check, but the level of detail in walls, water,rocks and whatever in Vista is really bad; bland, no grain in the wood, things missing like graffiti.............I'm going to have to go back and pay more attention to the settings. Originally I set everything on full-out, who knows.

I've played about an hour, I'm slow and like to look around. As far as I'm concerned, EP2 is as good as it's ever been. There's onlt been about 5 minutes so far where it hasnt been non-stop action. Picked right up where EP1 got off!

This texture thing is interesting me. I have a dual boot. My Vista 64 looks like shit compared to the XP.....maybe it reset on me, I'll have to check, but the level of detail in walls, water,rocks and whatever in Vista is really bad; bland, no grain in the wood, things missing like graffiti.............I'm going to have to go back and pay more attention to the settings. Originally I set everything on full-out, who knows.
you have to reset it to very high every time you restart the game

how is this game with multi-core cpu and SLI gpu setup? I originally had some lag with a single gpu on ep1 and i'm happy if should finally have SMP but is it implemented well?

Back