EOS D60 question

Cschill1290

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, so I recently got a Canon EOS D60 and honestly, I have no clue about cameras. I mean, I feel that I can take a pretty decent picture, I just don't really know anything about the hardware involved.

So here's my question...
This D60 won't take pictures. It auto-focuses, flash pops up, but I can't click the shutter. I haven't the first clue about what the issue is. So if anyone could point me in the direction of what would cause this, I would be most appreciative.

Just to prove I'm not a complete photography noob...here's some stuff I took on vacation last winter.

n558443626_1696099_837.jpg

n558443626_1696100_1144.jpg

n558443626_1696102_1759.jpg

n558443626_1739417_3110.jpg

They may not be the best, but I like them.

Any help would be appreciated.

You don't say whether it was working and it started acting up, or if it wasn't working right away.

Are you getting the focus confirmation dot in the viewfinder when the shutter button is pressed and held halfway down? Normally the default is to not take a picture if the camera doesn't currently confirm focus.

Does the camera display the number of photos left on the CF card? If the card isn't registering and inserted properly it won't take the picture. Can you format the card from within the camera?

Have you tried resetting all the camera settings back to the defaults? Maybe a good course of action if you got it used.

The ice is very cool looking in the 3rd photo, and the light and snow is excellent in the 4th.

Yeah, it's been working, but apparently I did something recently that it stopped working. I get the focus confirmation dot in the bottom right corner of the view finder, yes. Haven't tried formatting it from the camera, just on my PC. And I'll try reseting to defaults, I don't know why I didn't think of that before. Also, thank you for the compliments.

Yes...I've read the manual. It says to check the CF card if pictures cannot be taken, which I have repeatedly. Also tried putting everything to the auto setting. I don't post on here for help unless I've covered my bases with the easy stuff. (reading manuals, checking connections, etc.) Thanks for the link, I'll give that a look and see what I can find.

Edit: Just posted a thread over there asking for advice. Thanks for the link. :D

Last edited:
it is a great site, i read it religiously when i got my 20D (now a 40D)

i just stated that as most people i know with nice cams never even opened the thing :D

as said above, try it with an object you know can focus on, or turn it to manual focus?

Yeah, I tried using the manual focus too. I don't know what's going on with this thing. Hopefully someone over at the canon forums can help me.

^^ Ya - I was wondering that as well. Pretty sure the EOS 50D is still the latest in the Canon prosumer-grade line, but I could be mistaken. Looking around a little, the 60D is rumored to be released in late July this year... anyone going to get one?

If OP got one already, we want a LOT more info on it! :D Where'd you get it? What are the specs? What are your impressions so far, etc...

Anyhow, good luck getting that to work, bro - sounds like a memory card issue to me as well.

Wow tone down the ISO one those shots hahaha.

Back on topic... it could be a camera hardware fault. It is a pretty old camera, did you buy it used?

^^ if he has auto mode, it does that.

Seriously OP, if you bought that camera........... you NEED to learn to use it. what that means is SCREW auto modes, they should no longer exist to you..learn about ISO, AP and F stop, TRUST me the first time you take a picture using manual settings and it is good, you will crap yourself and realize what kind of pics you can take.

i am NO pro, but from some of the pics i have taken, i have had numerous requests for weddings, friends parties and just random jobs,.

i can see why people think the D60 is new... Nikon labels their new camera as D***, canon does it via ***D in that way. wonder if it is marketing, or an accident..

But either way.. Canon has better lenses and ranges for the price vs Nikon ;) You spend more on the body with Canon but cheaper on lense and quality, Nikon you pay less for the body, but than settle for less quality lenses :D but that IS just my own opinion from 5 years of research.

Back