Entry Point Not Found Error

itsukisama

Limp Gawd
I recently decided to go to x64 on my new system and since I got XP x64 I decided to install it on my main rig. Everything installed smoothly and even the raid drivers for the main drive installed without a hitch. I installed all the drivers and installed SP2. I keep getting this error when I try to explore my drives in my computer and my external HD. I can open files thru programs such as VLC from the drives I can seem to explore and they work just fine. Does anyone know what i can do? The drives were setup using 32-bit OS (XP n Vista) btw. Here's a screen shot of the error.

I'll take a shot at this...

Kernel32.dll is basically a list of functions, or mini-programs all crammed together. ExtendVirtualBuffer appears to be a function in Kernel32.dll, The error message appears to be saying that the ExtendVirtualBuffer function is not available in Kenerl32.dll.

You should be able to verify this at a command line by calling it explicitly. The following command should execute the function. I don't know what it does, but you can run it manually.

Code:
rundll32.exe kernel32.dll, ExtendVirtualBuffer
^---Note the case. It is important!

If it "worked", my guess is nothing should happen. If it didn't work, then you should get a very similar message. You can see the "didn't work" message by changing the case.

To me, it looks like something has registered itself as an event handler for whatever it is you're trying to do. It sounds like it occurs when you double click on your drives, so think about what software you installed -- do you have anything that might manage your drives, or do something regarding your drives?

I want to point out that something in the title bar of that window. The error message is:

n.com - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point ExtendVirtualBuffer could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

I think the title bar is actually as important as the error message. n.com isn't something generated by windows. It looks to me like you've definitely got some program running that is trying to handle the event that fires when you open up the drives. I'd hunt down that n.com program and see what it is....

Well I found an old MS help and support document that doesn't directly apply to XP but I think it could still apply.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=142606

Is it possible that any of the drivers you installed may not have been for XP64 or that maybe a driver pack you used incorrectly identified the OS and installed the wrong driver?

Short of telling you to start from scratch but preferably with the SP slipstreamed in to the install disk the only thing I can suggest is to run SFC and hope it can fix your issue.

Back