Entry Level Subs

skyline889

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
1,368
Long shot but I'll try. I've been looking for a budget sub to round out my college rig (Nothing too crazy, don't want to get it damaged during moving) and found a good deal on a DefTech ProSub 60 but can't find any reviews on it. I know the company in general is well received but does anybody have any experience with their entry level subs?
 
How good a deal (so I know whether to be lazy and link you something else)?

The guy on your avs thread called it anemic, so I dunno...I might be thinking "meh Dayton / Energy / ??? time" if it was me. Unless it's quite a bit under $100.
 
Like really cheap, $85. I've looked at the TSC ASW/Energy ASW subs but they're around $150-170 for the 10" and around $100 for the 8" since they're not on sale anymore.
 
Could always just resell it if you don't like it.

Is the deal somewhere that you can try it out before purchase? Because that would settle it right quick too.

And anemic isn't the worst thing you could call a low-budget sub.
 
I could go down to audition it but it'd be a 3hr round trip bus ride so I don't wanna go if its crap. :p
 
Here we go, read this. Also if it's rear-ported and the guy positioned it badly, it would make it "anemic"...sub positioning is important, even if you have a $10,000 sub.
 
You said college rig, so if you are like me that means an apartment where you can't really crank it anyway (unless you are a total dbag). In that case, if you are happy with the price, go for it. You said entry level so I mean I assume you just looking for a bit of punch and not something amazing. No point in anything crazy in small apartments anyway. Dorms (at least the ones I was in) you could get away with more due to the crazy thickness of the walls, but not much as you still had people above and below you to worry about. I know currently, my Polk (sig) can do pretty well, but the Onkyo on my TV setup has to be turned so low that it might as well not be there. That thing puts out a rather insane amount of bass otherwise.


I had read Polk had some QC issues of late, but my experience with this one has lead me to think they have some pretty awesome entry-mid level subs. I got this back in high school and it is still kicking just fine. It doesn't boom like my Onkyo, but then again in my current situation that is better :)


Anyway, I would say if you are happy with the deal go for it. If you think you might want a bit more lows, punch, or quality then look for something a bit more but still entry. In that bracket I would still recommend the Polks until I actually see something other than forum complaints about them heh. I know my PSW202 has served me well for a long time. It was even used when I got it. Great sub. Also if you have speakers that can take advantage of it, you can pass from the amp to the sub and from there to your other speakers which is nice.
 
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll go pick it up. I live in a dorm, but in on the first floor of only two stories so there's no one below me (For the people next to me I really don't give a sh*t since I have to listen to them giggling like little girls over Halo 'til 3am every weekend :rolleyes:). What I also like about this sub is that it has the high level input/output which the TSC doesn't have. My Pioneer doesn't have an LFE or Pre out so I'd have to use the "B" ouputs on my amp, which are lower quality.
 
Back
Top