• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

entry level sub suggestions

brrgrr

n00b
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
8
So my promedia 4.1's build up this static/whining noise that also affects sound quality mostly in the sub, so I would like to try replace the sub and recycle the 4 speakers, im not totally sure how to do that im guessing just get a sub and a receiver.

The sub i've mainly looked into is the polk psw10, I read it's good for an entry level sub, probably better than the one that came with the promedias at least.

As for a receiver I have no idea where to even start, just trying to keep the cost as low as possible.

Feel free to assume I know nothing, the world of sound systems is still foreign to me for the most part. Thanks!
 
Thanks, great forum link, I guess investing in a good receiver is a good idea considering i'd be getting one in the future anyway. I read in an amazon review that something about the psw10's can be annoying to anyone with a good receiver, is that something i'll want to avoid?
Also the sub will be used mainly for music.
 
I've read that while Polk makes good speakers, their subwoofers are subpar. The BIC America F12 is what I've read as one of the best sub $300 subs is pretty much the same subwoofer as the H-100, they just changed the colors due to a lawsuit or something. I think the H100 sounds great, especially for the $200 pricetag, but apparently people so all sub $300 subs sound muddy when compared to the higher priced ones.
 
I got this system last weekend

http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...Series-Powered-Subwoofer/1513356/product.html
http://www.ecost.com/Detail.aspx?edp=53205632
http://www.onecall.com/product/Polk-Audio/RTI4-Black-Pr/Speaker/_/R-28510

With cables from monoprice. I went from Monsoon IM-700's to M-Audio AV40's to this system, and it sounds so much better, no competition. I think the general consensus is to get the best receiver you can afford and compromise on the speakers and sub.

I would not compromise on speakers at all. Buy the receiver which has the features you want not the most expensive one you can find.

Edit:
Oh yeah to the OP, I have read good things about the BIC subs.
 
Back
Top