Entry level GT 1030 vs RX 550

Shaq

n00b
Though these entry level cards are not necessarily meant to be true gaming cards, one can play very recent AAA titles with fairly good performance. Personally, I would invest a little bit more and get a GTX 1050 - more perf per dollar.

I know the RX 550 is more geared for HTPC with the HDMI 2.0 output and 4K 60Hz desktop , I guess the 4K Blu-Ray support for Software and hardware is very lacking in PC right now for these cards . I would pair it with a Ryzen 3 1200 on a mATX platform myself as the RX 550 is more of a laptop gpu then desktop as I bet we will see these two paired up before long as a APU .

I know the RX 550 is more geared for HTPC with the HDMI 2.0 output and 4K 60Hz desktop , I guess the 4K Blu-Ray support for Software and hardware is very lacking in PC right now for these cards . I would pair it with a Ryzen 3 1200 on a mATX platform myself as the RX 550 is more of a laptop gpu then desktop as I bet we will see these two paired up before long as a APU .

The GT cards lack too many features and memory to even be seen as a holdover - nor would I recommend them as such, and especially now that I've spent some time with GTX 1050Ti in 4GB no-extra-power config. Even with PentiumG (not just G4xxx, but even G3xxx - such as G3220 or G3258), the latter STILL can drive 1080p at or barely below 30 fps in any DX11 game. Replacing a G with an i5 would move the needle from merely most games to darn near any game. 4k PC displays are still too expensive to move to for the average Joe just yet; therefore, most folks are standing pat with 1080p - which is still not a bad thing. If that is you, the only issues you will face are price inflation and stocking shortfalls with a GTX 1050 Ti driving your 1080p display.

Back