Entry level external watercooling

Ok, so I'm thinking of doing a basic watercooling setup. The noise is starting to bother me, and I live in a very small room on the third floor of a house, so my computer literally heats to room up to an uncomfortable level. I've done a bit of research about it, and I think it would be ideal, but I have no experience with the parts. I have a micro-atx system for space/potability reasons, and I know water cooling is kind of counter-intuitive, but I'd really like to try it out, and maybe see if I can't do a bit of overclocking, even, since air-cooling a mATX case with overclocking seems like an exercise in futility. Anyway, since it's a small case I think an external setup is going to be my best bet. Can anyone sort of fill me on on some affordable, yet reliable parts that won't have to be doing any really heavy cooling? My main components are listed in my sig, too.

I am not expert on the matter, but heat is heat no matter how you try to rid of it so even with Watercooling your room is still going to be hot just fyi.

I am not expert on the matter, but heat is heat no matter how you try to rid of it so even with Watercooling your room is still going to be hot just fyi.

You are exactly correct, watercooling will not remedy the heating of your room. In fact watercooling your computer will technically make it warmer... (20W of pump heat added)

yeah, heh, I was more looking at the 130 dollar kits I saw on Newegg and hoping I could jury rig something to get it outside the case, not spend 300 dollars an enclosed, self-contained unit because that's just much too expensive.

yeah, heh, I was more looking at the 130 dollar kits I saw on Newegg and hoping I could jury rig something to get it outside the case, not spend 300 dollars an enclosed, self-contained unit because that's just much too expensive.

external or not you're still gonna have to install the waterblock to the motherboard so ur better off just buying something easy to install like the swiftech h20 compact 120 pack.its only 119 bux at newegg.

I just bought the Swiftech H20-220 compact at the egg for $144 shipped. There are basically just two components(Pump/block and Rad/Resevoir) and the biggest one can be mounted outside the case. Might be right up your ally. Have heard good things about this kit performance wise. If you dont need this much cooling you can get the H20-120 version for $125 shipped. www.3dgameman.com has a video review of the 120 version and it did pretty good with a quad core.

I'll report back with results when I get mine installed. Good luck.

Back