• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Enterprise Level Data Storage

Manu

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 3, 2003
Messages
203
Currently we have an Iomega 850M NAS. Its a dual 2.4, 1GB of ram, 1.2T in RAID5. The IO is too slow (its 7200RPM IDE) and we're getting some errors on drives, so its time to upgrade.

We're looking to get something that would have upgradability and that is in the 2-5T range.

What devices should I look at? Should I look into DAS or NAS devices? Pretend I know nothing, please educate me!

Thanks!
 
Is this for a company? and if so how many people access the info?
Do you just need storage or will you run apps?

question is how much data do you need to store today? how much next year?
how much money are you looking to spend?

If you are looking for a nice cheap NAS the Buffalo Terrastation pro is worth a look. Can get them in the 2TB range, and they are very cheap. Supports 10/100/1000

If you need some more info or options, i can look it up at work. Just let me know what you need.
 
This is for a company. It is only going to be doing file storage, not running any applications off of it.

Today, we currently use about 500GB on the server this is replacing, currently I have a 1T server. I'd like to get something in the 2T range, but that has rooms to have more drives dumped into it.

Money all depends on the products, what I need is what I can spend, upwards of 5-10K though.
 
We have a Hitachi Tagmastore up at work and I love the hell out of it. I think ours is 8 or 10TB, I keep forgetting.

edit: I'm going to ask the SAN guy how big the array is and get back to you.
 
I asked the SAN guy and he said it's 18TB, 9TB is local and the other 9TB is in 3 racks across the street.
 
Manu said:
This is for a company. It is only going to be doing file storage, not running any applications off of it.

Today, we currently use about 500GB on the server this is replacing, currently I have a 1T server. I'd like to get something in the 2T range, but that has rooms to have more drives dumped into it.

Money all depends on the products, what I need is what I can spend, upwards of 5-10K though.

oh well then there are a lot of other options. If you want you can give me a call while i am at work, and i can look through my product system and get you some idea's on pricing.
 
Currently I am looking into getting an HP Smart Array MSA 30. Its basically a 14 bay array for SCSI drives that connects via a smart array controller.

That seems to be the good trade off between price, performance, and affordability. Anyone have any experience with these?
 
I'd recommend the MSA 60 over the MSA 30, you get SAS that way. Plus you can just utilize SATA drives in the enclosure if you like.
 
Back
Top