enterprise instant messaging

So I'm playing with this in my lab and I have users syncing up but the groups are not syncing.. Anybody want to PM me the details of that setup?

We use Office Communicator on a completely Microsoft environment. That being the case, it integrates REALLY well with Outlook/Sharepoint and of course Windows. Couldn't really ask for anything more.

We use Office Communicator on a completely Microsoft environment. That being the case, it integrates REALLY well with Outlook/Sharepoint and of course Windows. Couldn't really ask for anything more.

The company I work for also uses Office Communicator with Outlook integration. While the solution is quite nice, it is also fairly expensive.

I'm having a hard time getting Openfire setup. When I attempt to connect to SQL Server I'm getting the following error.

Code:
java.sql.SQLException: Network error IOException: Connection refused: connect
	at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ConnectionJDBC2.<init>(ConnectionJDBC2.java:385)
	at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ConnectionJDBC3.<init>(ConnectionJDBC3.java:50)
	at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver.connect(Driver.java:182)
	at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
	at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
	at org.logicalcobwebs.proxool.DefaultConnectionBuilder.buildConnection(DefaultConnectionBuilder.java:39)
	at org.logicalcobwebs.proxool.Prototyper.buildConnection(Prototyper.java:159)
	at org.logicalcobwebs.proxool.Prototyper.sweep(Prototyper.java:102)
	at org.logicalcobwebs.proxool.PrototyperThread.run(PrototyperThread.java:44)
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.SharedSocket.createSocketForJDBC3(SharedSocket.java:304)
	at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.SharedSocket.<init>(SharedSocket.java:255)
	at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ConnectionJDBC2.<init>(ConnectionJDBC2.java:310)

So I'm playing with this in my lab and I have users syncing up but the groups are not syncing.. Anybody want to PM me the details of that setup?

look at the picture MikeTrike posted on the previous page.

here is what I did:
1) Create security group in A/D for each department (I did chat_DEPTNAME)
2) Add users to respective security group
3) Go to the users/groups section in openfire
4) Go to the groups section and find the group you created in A/D click on it
5) Check the box for "enable contact list group sharing"
6) Save changes and the contact list in spark should auto populate with everyone in that group

BigDogChris I am using the built in database for my testing. Let me know if you figure this out because I may use a SQL database when I deploy this to the whole company.

Mike did you test it with the built in database at all?
My 15 person test group works fine with the built in database, however I am guessing I should probably use a SQL database for 200-250 users.

Never used the built in DB, we have 180+ users so I just tossed MySQL on there and it rolled without issues. :)

Well this is going to be for a very small setup, maybe 15-20 users, so I'm using SQL 2008 R2 Express.

I also have another question. I can't figure out how to pull users out of more than one OU. I don't want every user to be in the same one in order to satisfy this program. How can I fix this?

I actually got it all figured out. Just took me placing it in the right baseDN for it to pick everything up.

I built it on Linux using ubuntu 10.04 & mysql 5. Works perfect in a test lab.

I actually got it all figured out. Just took me placing it in the right baseDN for it to pick everything up.
I looked at that, but it was before I realized I had LDAP signing requirement on, so after I shut it off, I forgot to check it again.

But, even when it's working, I still don't show the rest of the users in the OU as offline.

Also, what is the benefit of linking groups, will it divide them up on the chat client per group?

I looked at that, but it was before I realized I had LDAP signing requirement on, so after I shut it off, I forgot to check it again.

But, even when it's working, I still don't show the rest of the users in the OU as offline.

Also, what is the benefit of linking groups, will it divide them up on the chat client per group?

I setup predefined groups so that in spark (I also tested it in Pidin) would automatically show up per department / function. I saw it done when I was hanging out with a buddy one night. He works in an outsourcing call center situation where they have 4 total locations. Everyone gets divided up into their respective teams automatically and there is no adding users to spark when someone gets hired or leaves.

I setup predefined groups so that in spark (I also tested it in Pidin) would automatically show up per department / function.
Which property do you edit to show groups in the chat client. I can log in, but it's not showing any offline users or groups.

Which property do you edit to show groups in the chat client. I can log in, but it's not showing any offline users or groups.

It does not show offline users from what I've seen, they need to be online for them to populate the list. That's actually one of the things I like most. When using IceWarp + PSI it was great, but there were always crap tons of users offline. The lists on there were manual as well so users never disappeared off of lists.

It does not show offline users from what I've seen, they need to be online for them to populate the list. That's actually one of the things I like most. When using IceWarp + PSI it was great, but there were always crap tons of users offline. The lists on there were manual as well so users never disappeared off of lists.
There is a checkbox to "show offline users" and also has a feature to cache offline messages, which is nice. So, I don't have something set right.

Anyways, mine isn't even showing online users.

There is a checkbox to "show offline users" and also has a feature to cache offline messages, which is nice. So, I don't have something set right.

Anyways, mine isn't even showing online users.

I also have that non-functional offline check box as well.

As for not showing online users, are you sure you're setting up group's properly?

As for not showing online users, are you sure you're setting up group's properly?
I don't have the ability to adjust that setting since I have no groups listed there. I don't know how to set it to pull them from AD. I have users set correctly to pull through LDAP since I'm logging in, but no groups listed.

I don't have the ability to adjust that setting since I have no groups listed there. I don't know how to set it to pull them from AD. I have users set correctly to pull through LDAP since I'm logging in, but no groups listed.

Groups are configured from Openfire.

Which come from here on your AD server.

OK, I'm not explaining things correctly.

The only settings I have changed are:

ldap.baseDN
ldap.adminDN

What server property do I change to point the Openfire server to the OU with the security groups to display in the chat client? I can log in with users from the base DN and administrate from users in the admin DN, but thats all I can do.

Thanks

Here's an example so it can just blanket see everything, so you can assign whatever groups you want.

Host: "Server Host or IP goes here."
Port: 389
Base DN: dc="muff-factory",dc="local"
Administrator DN: [email protected]

Here's an example so it can just blanket see everything, so you can assign whatever groups you want.

Host: "Server Host or IP goes here."
Port: 389
Base DN: dc="muff-factory",dc="local"
Administrator DN: [email protected]
Yep that's all the stuff I set up during the initial configuration.

I can log in multiple users into the chat client just fine. None of them show other users are online and none show any groups.

Thanks.

Yep that's all the stuff I set up during the initial configuration.

I can log in multiple users into the chat client just fine. None of them show other users are online and none show any groups.

Thanks.

Yeah if you're able to login with different user accounts, your LDAP config should be fine.

It comes down to the proper configuration of the security groups.

It comes down to the proper configuration of the security groups.
Yep, that's where I'm stuck at. If I have an Active Directory Security Group called "Group 1", how do I tell the Openfire server to display "Group 1" in the chat software.

Another thing, I have two users logged in right now, and neither can see eachother as being online.

Back