Enterprise Desktop Monitoring Software

Hi everyone,

I work at an I.T. department and we are looking for a software tool that lets us monitor users' software and track software/hardware assets. We want to be able to see if a user is actually using the software we installed for them such as Adobe Photoshop, Autocad, Microsoft Project, etc. Because those software are expensive to install, we want to make sure that they actually use them.

It'd be great if it has license tracking, remote software installation, etc also.

If you have any experience with this, please respond.

Thank you!

We use Kaseya, works great. You can pull reports to see what software is installed, check for duplicate keys, etc. Check it out, it's 1,000 times more robust than that and priced fairly well.

http://www.kaseya.com/

Thanks MikeTrike for responding.

Mind me asking how big your company is in terms of users and what are some problems that you guys ran into with Kaseya?

Thanks!

Originally about 260, down to about 190 at the moment.

No problems so far, everything works as advertised. From remote support, inventory, software tracking, etc. Agents are lightweight and easy to install, you can install invisibly as well. It also plays well with or without active directory. However AD is recommended with most anything. I use Kasea and Dameware as the main tools of my trade. :)

Works great for patch management as well, you can setup policies and approve/disapprove patches for groups of machines. We have the SMEE version. I also need to get around to deploying WSUS to streamline things a bit more. :) But thats not directly related to Kaseya. But with Kaseya actually helping keep our boxes patched, there is more net traffic, so WSUS would help.

From a free point of view, purely for asset tracking....I recommend LANSweeper
www.lansweeper.com

Just needs .NET Frame and IIS to run on, plop a script in the DC for login, and let it harvest the data. Amazing how much good info it will get for you. Blows the doors off the buggy adware driven sluggish spiceworks.

Spiceworks would also be another, it's free ad based I think. Has (or had) a premium no ad version.

LogMeIn would be a pain to add all computers, but it will consolidate your remote control and inventorying.

I might have to give spiceworks another go, they are going to be adding these features in 5.0. :)

• Config Management automatically backs up the configuration of your network devices and lets you compare and restore (via TFTP) when changes occur
• A More Detailed Network Map has broader SNMP device support and collects deeper end-point device (i.e. desktop & networking) details
• Microsoft Hyper-V Support means you can manage more virtualized machines in your inventory
• People View associates your users with their assets and lets you perform basic support and troubleshooting tasks like password reset & unlock
• Purchase Tracking lets you track, calculate & report on costs as well as purchases for your environment and users

I am working in an IT department with 25 computers running Windows 7. We are outsourcing in another country and rely on Praetorian Guard because it provides a way to monitor the entire network remotely. Software Inventory tools collect software on all PCs and store the data centrally. It also reports PC Hardware Inventory for accounting asset tracking, IT Audits and theft security. We are able to see what software has been installed on which server and by which user that is not authorized by our management. We are pleased with it for now.
www.praetorianguard.net

Back