Enterprise Backups?

Haleiwa

Limp Gawd
I am looking to see what other people are using in large scale enterprise backups. We are currently using workstations with usb attached storage (I know).

A little about our needs. We have 50 sites, each with a Netware 6.5 server. They each have about 300 gigs of data on them. We have 4 24TB SANs at the main office that holds all our VMs. Most of the data on the Netware boxes is all the same. Data deduplication is a must.

We have looked at Data Domain and CommVault. What else is out there?

Oh and our budget for the project is $250,000.

Thanks

do you have any OS under server 2002? If not then look into Microsoft DPM, i have gotten the chance to mess with it and its pretty darn snazzy for large enterprise backups.

We use a Data Domain DD565 with Commvault Galaxy Backup with a few other modules (compliance and mail archiving). They work awesome together, the commvault GUI blows away just about every other vendor we researched before finally deciding on them.

We use IBM's Tivoli Storage Manager. It seems to work well enough, but I mostly only deal with the client side. As far as duplication goes, I think you can have offsite duplication of the storage pool, which I believe is how ours is setup. It does have a bit of a learning curve to get everything going, but after that restoring lost data is a snap (mostly).

I really didn't like DPM when I tried it for many months (we get it free from our partnership). TSM is a great product. It takes a while to get everything set up properly, but once that's done, it does its job without much fuss. It's been several years since I used CommVault, but when I did, it was a pretty nice product.

We use IBM's Tivoli Storage Manager. It seems to work well enough, but I mostly only deal with the client side. As far as duplication goes, I think you can have offsite duplication of the storage pool, which I believe is how ours is setup. It does have a bit of a learning curve to get everything going, but after that restoring lost data is a snap (mostly).

TSM is very expensive. and their support is the worst.

We use the HP StorageWorks MSL6000 Tape Library. It isn't enterprise level, but they do offer them.

Just to give you an idea we pay 52.55 for the 10 PVU license. Each core on an x86 cpu is 50 PVU. SO our dual quad core server would cost $2102 for the TSM client. However, if your using VMWARE you only have to pay for the HOST and guest VM's are covered as of their current licensing model.

After ~3-5months of testing software on various platforms... mostly windows 2003, We/I ended up getting Backup Exec for the dept. I liked how it had lots of features, and things you could do to tweak etc. For what we needed it worked perfect. Multiple SANS, ~50 servers, 200+ workstations... etc.

Backup Exec is easy to use and setup - but it needs a baby sitter worse than anything else I have used in the past. I am currently using it with the remote agents for my Linux and older Novell servers. Don't make the mistake of putting in on a 64bit Windows server and trying to use the Novell remote agent.

Backup Exec is easy to use and setup - but it needs a baby sitter worse than anything else I have used in the past. I am currently using it with the remote agents for my Linux and older Novell servers. Don't make the mistake of putting in on a 64bit Windows server and trying to use the Novell remote agent.

We use Backup Exec as well. Just like you said it's easy to setup, but we have to constantly monitor its status. I'd still recommend it, though.

Back