enough power for geforce 6800xt?

UnfaTeFuL

Limp Gawd
A worker friend of mines wants to sell his XFX geforce 6800XT to me for 75 bucks, which is this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150157

It sounds like a good deal since he only had is for 2 months but before I buy it, is my 480W PSU able to handle it? I'm looking thru the reviews and I see people saying you need quite a bit of power. I just want a more opinions about the amount of power needed. It's a thermaltake brand and I'm running 2 HDs, a dvd drive, cd burner, and all the other basic parts of a computer.

Most definitely it's enough. Thermaltake also makes good quality PSU's from what I've seen. I've had a 420 watt Purepower for years now and it's still going strong. It's in my wife's rig as we speak. :D Now buy that card from him before he regains his sanity and decides not to sell it for $75 :cool:

Lord_Exodia said:
Most definitely it's enough. Thermaltake also makes good quality PSU's from what I've seen. I've had a 420 watt Purepower for years now and it's still going strong. It's in my wife's rig as we speak. :D Now buy that card from him before he regains his sanity and decides not to sell it for $75 :cool:

It's not THAT good. It's slower than a 6600 GT and 7600 GS. It's a decent deal, but nothing amazing. It's an 8-pipe card clocked at a measly 350 MHz, whereas the 7600 GS is a 12-pipe card clocked at 400 MHz.

When you can get a 7600 GS for $60 after MIR ($90 without the rebate), the 6800 XT is NOT that impressive. The 7600 GS is the new midrange value king!

He's got an agp system though so this is deal doesn't apply. Considering agp 7600GS' are well over $100 and even 6600GT's are also over $100 new agp this is a fairly good deal and he's helping his buddy out

What he said ^^^^^ also it seems like a good deal not just because of the card he's getting but the fact that the card he would get is near new. I believe the op said 2 weeks old.

It's probably the last AGP card I will buy until I switch to a PCI-e card and mobo. I thought it will be good enough to replace my FX5500 for a bit until I get more money.

defaultluser said:
It's not THAT good. It's slower than a 6600 GT and 7600 GS. It's a decent deal, but nothing amazing. It's an 8-pipe card clocked at a measly 350 MHz, whereas the 7600 GS is a 12-pipe card clocked at 400 MHz.

When you can get a 7600 GS for $60 after MIR ($90 without the rebate), the 6800 XT is NOT that impressive. The 7600 GS is the new midrange value king!

quit raining on his parade, he can unlock that xt if i'm not mistaken and they overclock quite nicely

The XFX 6800XTs come with faster RAM and have a higher unlock rate than the other brands. If you can unlock that card to 16/6 and overclock it a bit then you basically get a 6800GT for that price.

The XFX won't unlock, at least mine and many others' here wouldn't. Also, it isn't a bad card at all. I don't know why everyone keeps sh*&^%$ on them cause I am having great luck with mine. Yea it only has 8 pipes but if its the same one it has a 256 bit interface and is overclocked quite a bit right out of the box. From what I have read, I think I would rather have a 256 bit interface with 8 pipes instead of a 128 bit interface withe 12 pipes.

LouP :cool:

Back