I just downgraded myself back to Pentium D 805 today and found out something totally unexpected.
1. I run Fedora Linux.
2. I was on Phenom II 720 previously and using manual script files to control the CPU speed and set it to auto execute during boot time.
3. I forgot to remove the script before dismantling. After I transferred my disks to the Intel system,and several reboots later, I found the CPU speed was set at 2.0GHz.
4. I was surprised because Pentium D 805 supposedly only runs at default clock of 2.66GHz and does not support Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology. Meaning it will always run at 2.66GHz. My understanding could be wrong here though.
5. So I downloaded sysbench to run some simple CPU-only test runs with different CPU speed setting. (to make sure it is not a software display mistake while the CPU runs at full-speed)
6. Indeed different sysbench results with different CPU speed shown by the CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor. So you can indeed alter the processor clock.
So for other users still running on 90nm Pentium D and wanting to save power/reduce heat and many more.. you have one more unexpected alternative option. (I think this works only on Linux)
To clarify, I manually change the clock speed. the automatic enhanced speedstep did not kick in at all. So this is more like "MANUAL SpeedStep"
1. I run Fedora Linux.
2. I was on Phenom II 720 previously and using manual script files to control the CPU speed and set it to auto execute during boot time.
3. I forgot to remove the script before dismantling. After I transferred my disks to the Intel system,and several reboots later, I found the CPU speed was set at 2.0GHz.
4. I was surprised because Pentium D 805 supposedly only runs at default clock of 2.66GHz and does not support Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology. Meaning it will always run at 2.66GHz. My understanding could be wrong here though.
5. So I downloaded sysbench to run some simple CPU-only test runs with different CPU speed setting. (to make sure it is not a software display mistake while the CPU runs at full-speed)
6. Indeed different sysbench results with different CPU speed shown by the CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor. So you can indeed alter the processor clock.
So for other users still running on 90nm Pentium D and wanting to save power/reduce heat and many more.. you have one more unexpected alternative option. (I think this works only on Linux)
To clarify, I manually change the clock speed. the automatic enhanced speedstep did not kick in at all. So this is more like "MANUAL SpeedStep"