Engineering Profession in WoW

So I was looking at different professions (Only been playing for about 6months and I've only made two Characters, and I've only used Blacksmith, Mining, Tailoring, and Enchanting so far) and I saw engineering, and thought maybe that could be interesting, but the details i read didn't really explain what you could do with that profession very well, so I was hoping someone could enlighten me on exactly what you can do with Engineering, and what would be a good secondary profession that would go well with it ?

Mining and engineering.

Engineers can make some cool shit, like motorcycles, flamethrower enchants, etc.

check out wowwiki or wowpedia they have the entire rundown

yea actually just found out about wow wiki, so I forgot to check there, thanks for reminding me. That site is awesome. that one and wowhead.com, is really good. Thats awesome that you can build motorcycles, you have to be like level 70 or 80 to use a motorcycle as a mouth tho don't you ?

Biggest issue with Engineering is that 95% of what you can make with engineering can only be used by people with engineering skill, meaning there is very little market for our wares.

Unlike every other profession, you won't be making very many things to sell to other players, and the few things you can sell are either ridiculously expensive to make (and as a result expensive / hard to sell), or so useless that no one wants them.

I love engineering on my main character. Dwarf miner/engineer. Also, since i am a hunter, making your own ammo (engineer only) makes sense.

But it's supposed to be an RPG, play what you feel. Really, though, it depends on your class what is best. Tailoring for cloth classes. Leather working for leather wearing classes. Blacksmithing for mail and plate wearing classes. Or pick whatever seems intersesting, and go with it.

I love engineering on my main character. Dwarf miner/engineer. Also, since i am a hunter, making your own ammo (engineer only) makes sense.

But it's supposed to be an RPG, play what you feel. Really, though, it depends on your class what is best. Tailoring for cloth classes. Leather working for leather wearing classes. Blacksmithing for mail and plate wearing classes. Or pick whatever seems intersesting, and go with it.

QFT, I've been trying different things out, and just experimenting with different classes/races and professions, trying to get the hang of everything, and I'm having friggin hella fun. I'm a pretty serious gamer, and I can't believe it took me this long to get into this game, I should started playing years ago, but I thought it was gonna end up being lame like Star Wars Galaxies ended up being like towards the end, so I didn't try it. But I'm glad I finally did, cause its JAWesome lol

I have two characters, my first character is a Level 44 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin, and my Professions are Enchanting and Tailoring, which is pretty fun. I've kinda slacked off on progressing my Profession levels, so I can't do anything super effective yet, but i'm gonna start taking a break from leveling up my character, and start leveling up his professions.

My 2nd character is a Level 32 Dwarf Arms Warrior, and his professions are Mining and Blacksmithing, which I have a lot of fun with, and have leveled up my professions on him quite a bit, I'm at expert with both, and I just learned to make some awesome shoulder pads, which I gave a pair to myself and had my buddy enchant them with extra health. So they work pretty well for now.

two other professions I had a question about is "Inscription" and "Portals". I know what they do, but I don't get what the practical application for them is, or what classes they would go good with.

Engineering is probably the best profession in the game IMO. It doesn't really make you any money, but it is all about personal utility as well as just fun items.

In Cata, it gets about the same dps benefit as all the other professions (Blizzard evened the professions in terms of PvE damage bonuses), but it has a million times more utility.

-parachute cloak
-rocket belt
-bombs

Ammo has been removed from the game (although it was useful to be able to make your own when it was still there).

two other professions I had a question about is "Inscription" and "Portals". I know what they do, but I don't get what the practical application for them is, or what classes they would go good with.
Inscription allows you to create class-specific glyphs, which benefit a character in various different ways, depending on which glyph it is. Being an inscriber will save you some money because you can just make your own glyphs rather than having to buy them off the auction house. You can also create glyphs and put them up on the AH to try to make some money as well.

There is no such profession as "Portals". Portals are Mage spells that create a portal, usable only by players in the Mage's party, that will instantly teleport you to a capital city. You cannot create Portals unless you are a Mage.

Biggest issue with Engineering is that 95% of what you can make with engineering can only be used by people with engineering skill, meaning there is very little market for our wares.

Unlike every other profession, you won't be making very many things to sell to other players, and the few things you can sell are either ridiculously expensive to make (and as a result expensive / hard to sell), or so useless that no one wants them.

Yup, the WoW economy is simple at best... If they improved it, they would attract a lot of the older players.

Unfortunately, all the mindless nerds would run away from a real scary world.

Didnt there used to be a profession having something to do with portals. I woulda swore saw it at one time but i could be thinking of something else.

So with inscription, what would be another profession that would go well with it ?

Didnt there used to be a profession having something to do with portals. I woulda swore saw it at one time but i could be thinking of something else.

So with inscription, what would be another profession that would go well with it ?

Maybe you're thinking of Engineering. They can create wormholes that takes them to different parts of Northrend, but has a ridiculously long cooldown. Other than that, mages are best known to make portals to all the major cities.

Inscription depends on herbalism (in a role-play sense, you crush herbs to make inks).

I think what it was, is that I saw "Portal Trainers" somewhere, and I thought it was a profession, but I guess that its another trainer for mages, to teach them to use/create portals. is that correct ?

I think what it was, is that I saw "Portal Trainers" somewhere, and I thought it was a profession, but I guess that its another trainer for mages, to teach them to use/create portals. is that correct ?

Yep, portal trainers are a separate trainer for mages. I dunno why though, I think it's because each portal trainer only teaches the portal for the city/zone they're in, meaning the mage has to travel to the specific city/zone before being able to learn the spell.

Ah, good old engineering. I picked it up with my troll hunter when WoW originally launched and kept it since then. Had alot of fun with shrink ray and other nifty gadgets.
It was RP fun to run around Orgrimmar with Lil Smokey, pink strider pet and Horde's first Core Marksman Rifle on the server :D

it was worse in TBC though, and I quit at WOTL launch

Engineer is easily my favorite profession, and a great option for melee classes, due to the Nitro Boosts and Hyperspeed Accelerators. The Dalaran Auction House was an awesome addition for WotLK, even though that bonus is no longer a concern. Parachute cloak is also super awesome.

Alchemy / JC = money professions.

Everything else really isn't on such a wide scale. Engineering is strictly fun for yourself type of profession, with little to no items to sell off.

Tailor is always good as well as long as you're one of the first to get some of the large bag patterns. As far as another tip based money maker is enchanting, which is perfect compliment to tailoring, as you can DE your stuff you make and get from quests/lewt/etc and lvl up your profession further.

are you guys still talking about warcraft?
Yeah I know right. Its not like they have anybody playing anymore (just several million), just had a sold out convention (that sold out in seconds), released a groundbreaking patch that shows off its brand new questing system and maps, has been redone from the ground, up, and its not like their next expansion will sell any copies. I mean their 3rd expansion only sold millions and had lines opening night that would put most theme park rides out of business.

Tailor is always good as well as long as you're one of the first to get some of the large bag patterns. As far as another tip based money maker is enchanting, which is perfect compliment to tailoring, as you can DE your stuff you make and get from quests/lewt/etc and lvl up your profession further.

QFT, My Blood Elf Pally has Enchanting and Tailoring. I've been kinda slacking tho, cause I'm at level 44, and I just now reach lvl 100 with Enchanting, and I'm only at like 60 or 70 with Tailoring. So for the time being, I've been not worrying about leveling up my Character as much, and focusing on leveling up my professions.

I'm really looking forward to the "Archeology" secondary profession, sounds like it will be a fun thing to do when your not running dungeons/raids or doing quests, just to pass some time. You can be the Indiana Jones of WoW lol to bad they don't have any Whips in WoW, that would be a cool weapon lol

Engineering is all about convenience and cool factor. You wont be making money with it but its still worth it.

Back